1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Car:
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 3.8L V6
Transmission: 4 Speed AOD

I am planning on ordering either a shift kit, or a modified valve body. If i get a shift kit it will be Trans-Go, as i've heard any other, is worthless for the aod transmissions.
I saw an interesting valve body at performancetransmission.com its a Make'em Chirp type of valve body and its about $200.
Here is the link for the valve body : http://www.usaplaza.com/scripts/wcom_producttree.asp?StoreID=1078&ProductID=32202

I really prefer the harsher shifts. Like, the head whipping shifts, tire chirping shifts... I don't think the Trans-Go shift kit can provide anything like that... Is there any advanced modifying that can be done to my tranny while installing the Trans-Go shift kit? Like i read somethign in one of these threads about Seperator Plate Modifacation, i couldnt find ANYTHING on that. Is there any kind of drilling that can be done to make my shifts more head whipping?
I hope all of this makes sense! Besides the trans mods that i want done, i am in the process of getting a posi rear with 3.73 gears for this vehicle.

Any replies will be greatly appriciated!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
MerlinTSO said:
I really prefer the harsher shifts. Like, the head whipping shifts, tire chirping shifts... I don't think the Trans-Go shift kit can provide anything like that... Is there any advanced modifying that can be done to my tranny while installing the Trans-Go shift kit?...Any replies will be greatly appriciated!
There are three different settings for the Trans-go kit, iirc. You can just drill the holes for the highest setting Stage III if you want.

I ordered a rebuild kit for my 4R70W, and I thought I would get the Transgo kit, but they sent me a Fairbanks kit. :confused: I called them today to ask them why. The guy at Performance Automotive and Transmission Center told me that they have been getting better success with the Fairbanks kit than their Transgo kit for the 4R70W, but they sell Transgo for all their other transmissions, including AOD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
soo, when i get my transgo kit there will be three stages i can setup my tranny for?
like b&m has 2 stages, i thought transgo had 2 only, also......
Damn i hope im happy with this shift kit grr

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
MerlinTSO said:
soo, when i get my transgo kit there will be three stages i can setup my tranny for?
like b&m has 2 stages, i thought transgo had 2 only, also......
Damn i hope im happy with this shift kit grr
Based on my phone call about the shift kit, PATC just updated their Web site. They were advertising a Trans-Go kit OR a Fairbanks kit for the 4R70W. The way they had it on the page, it looked like I was gonna get a Trans-Go 3-stage kit, but the 3 stages might have been referring to just the Fairbanks kit. They have now updated the site to advertise the Fairbanks kit only because they've had more success with it in these trannys.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/aode.htm

Scroll down to #8 shift kit. I'm looking at the documentation now, and it gives you the options to drill for

1: Heavy Duty. Firm shift feel but not harsh. Improves transmission life. For towing, police, taxi, and other heavy duty use.

2. Performance Street. Provides firm positive shifts and better holding capacity for performance street use.

3. Competition. Maximum performance. Very positive shifts. Street Rod to racing applications.

It may or may not be the same with the Trans-Go kit for your AOD. Who knows?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
duhhhh me :uppoint:

This is what their site says about AOD, which is right above the AODE:

#7. AOD high performance shift kit. Transgo stage two. This is the same high performance shift kit we use in the A O Dominator and the Dominator Junior transmissions. Cost $129.00

·
Registered
926 Posts
I think B&M and transgo are not very good from what I have heard the B&M is the worst but, I had the Transgo and it went out last week becuase lets say it gave me some problems anyway if you want the best shift kit get a Manuel VB from www.Performanceautomatic.com I put that in and I am now chirping third and 1-2 is way better than the trans or bm could ever imagine. the VB is 250.00 and it requires no extras. This company also does mostly Fords , Good luck you will be happy with the PA vb anything else as far as shi* kits are garbage in my opinion but I guess thats my opinion.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
It's also my firm opinion that when you're not in the market to buy a whole valve body, and you want a shift kit for an AODE/4R70W ... the J-mod is definitely the way to go. On an AOD, we do not yet have such a thing, so you'll have to choose. I havent seen the recommended changes for the AOD shift kits, so I cant comment on which is better.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I recently installed a TransGo shift kit in my '95 SC with 4R70W & I'm very happy. Good, solid 1-2 & 2-3 upshifts. Chirps the tires every time when shifting into 2nd anywhere over 3000 RPM. I couldn't be happier with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think im going to wait, save my pennies for the Performance Auto valve body thats $200..... I have a feeling someone already put a shift kit in this transmission. It shifts hard from 1 to 2, and 2 to 3, but only when your jumping on it.... it down shifts slowly tho....

·
Registered
926 Posts
yes , the Jmod is a good upgrade for the buck but I dont think it will work on the AOD maybe Im wrong but I think they have different Valve bodies

·
Registered
926 Posts
Mine didnt give me trouble for about two months and it started sliping from 1-2nd but thats the only problem I put the VB in and no more troubles

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
the trans-go is good, drives nice, but shifts hard when you hammer it. But I think a new valve body would be best if you have the extra cash

1 - 13 of 13 Posts