TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to put a shift kit in my 1996 with the 4r70w but im not sure which brand of shift kit i should get. Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
9,138 Posts
The J-mod is a shift kit, more or less. Not to mention it was designed by a Ford transmission engineer.

Read the acronym sticky in the newbie forum.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the advice! Another qucik ?, i just saw a video of a dirty dog kit that includes sprigs, checkballs ect. i was curious to know if this kit is too harsh on stock components or if it would be okay?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
thanks for the advice! Another qucik ?, i just saw a video of a dirty dog kit that includes sprigs, checkballs ect. i was curious to know if this kit is too harsh on stock components or if it would be okay?
I believe his kits ARE based on the j-mod. You can order them at any HP level (or harshness, if you will) that you wish. Personally, mine is set at the lowest level (< 300hp). I plan on going up to the next higher level (which is just drilling a few holes slightly larger) after I do a few more engine mods.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what are the shifts like on the 300hp lvl? i want good, crisp shifts without breaking parts and having to do any other moods to the tranny

·
Super Moderator
9,138 Posts
what are the shifts like on the 300hp lvl? i want good, crisp shifts without breaking parts and having to do any other moods to the tranny
Under normal circumstances it'll bark the tires during the 1-2 at WOT and be a snappy shift under normal throttle levels.

I think I read that the J-mod reduces clutch pack wear by something like 70%.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Under normal circumstances it'll bark the tires during the 1-2 at WOT and be a snappy shift under normal throttle levels.

I think I read that the J-mod reduces clutch pack wear by something like 70%.
I'd also like to add that as you look at the improvements done to the transmissions as they progress through the years stock from Ford, that is basically what most of the mods you do in the j-mod is doing. If you read those links, you will see that Jerry (the Ford engineer that designed the j-mod - henseforth the J) mentions that in his "thesis".

·
Registered
64 Posts
Check here:
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=132869

Robert is great to deal with. I bought his kit for my 97 and installed it last winter along with an auxiliary cooler. I love the way the car shifts now. I did the <300 hp settings. I have quicker shifts that are firm but not harsh.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Check here:
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=132869

Robert is great to deal with. I bought his kit for my 97 and installed it last winter along with an auxiliary cooler. I love the way the car shifts now. I did the <300 hp settings. I have quicker shifts that are firm but not harsh.
I bought from RobertP as well. It's still sitting in the box next to my desk because of all this damn weather that came through so far this winter. Maybe I'll be able to install it sometime soon....... :zbash:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just a thought to consider when modifying the shift "feel" using a "shift kit".
I would advise a little caution during the selection of orifices used, be just a little respectful of what the factory issued and what Jerry(J-Mod) recommends, read and interput as best as you can, it's easy to over-drill\oversize these holes, do NOT assume that your drill bit is "Close", either buy or borrow a micrometer/caliper that you can measure bit shank size to be accurate, I can bet good money that anyone who follows the J-Mod instructions to the "T" will not experience any problems, but "IF" someone opens the holes(feeds) too much, the result will be a "barking" 2nd gear and such, please don't do this and be proud of what you did, a "Snapperhead" shift is not conductive to longevity to the hardparts inside, Oh sure, the clutches show less wear but the pinions/carriers take the "hit", so it's up to the technician doing the modification to ward off future headaches, a firm/positive shift is what you are looking for, barking tires will not make vehicle quicker except back to the trans shop for a rolled/blown intermediate one way clutch, which requires removal and teardown to replace, ie: lots of unnecessary $$$$$ spent on a "No=Gain" mod that hurts more than it helps in the long haul.
Enthusiasm and caution are seperated by a very fine line, don't break yer toy in the pursuit of stupidity.
Good luck,

Kevin.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
... Enthusiasm and caution are seperated by a very fine line, don't break yer toy in the pursuit of stupidity.
Good luck,

Kevin.
Shoot, I usually act stupid pursuing ethusiasm; caution doesn't even belong in the same sentence! FWIW, my jmod could use a little more "punch" in the 1-2 shift, the 2-3 shift is perfect, and 3-4, 4-3 both need a bit of tweaking, too. I'll get back in it to try a few things sometime in the future. Being I put a higher stall converter, I should have followed Baumann's advice and went one setting higher to account for the extra torque. Jerry failed to mention that in his 'thesis'!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts