TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i have a 92 Bird sport and I was wondering what it would cost to have a shop put in a kit for me?...any approximations? I know that the kit itself is pretty cheap but im too affraid to mess with the tranny, how hard is this to do? on a scale of 1-10. I'd really like to get one but have never done anything to any tranny except service.
Thanks
Tyler

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
GregFL,

He has a 92 with an AOD, that article on the J-Mod is for the 4R70W. He can use a shift kit in that.

Joe

·
Registered
43 Posts
I recently installed a TransGo shift kit in my '95 SC. Different tranny than you've got, but the kit should be very similar. They include a very nice video in the kit which helps a lot. I'd never torn into a tranny before, so it was a learning experience. Follow the video & instructions step by step, & you should have no problems. It's basically just changing springs & valves in the valve body. My buddy & I accidentally removed the overdrive servo, which resulted in having to drop the pan & valve body another couple of times to fix it. Also, after installing the kit, my 1-2 shifts were still sluggish. The TransGo tech guys immediately knew what the problem was. The 1-2 accumulator on my 4R70W was of an older design, & let fluid leak by. So I replaced it with the newer design. The part was only $10 at a local dealership. Not sure if the accumulator is the same on yours, but you should definitely find out while you've got it apart. The TransGo tech guys are very helpful, but are only there Mon-Fri.
Also, not sure if the J-Mod that's talked about a lot on this site will work on your tranny. It would've worked fine on mine, I just didn't know that much about it at the time. I'm very happy with my shift kit.

Hope this helps,
Mike

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
i've heard that the transgo kit is a little to rough on these tranny's. i bought a baumann kit. it is supposeds to be better, and it is a lot cheaper. FYI.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
93 lx said:
i've heard that the transgo kit is a little to rough on these tranny's. i bought a baumann kit. it is supposeds to be better, and it is a lot cheaper. FYI.
Wrong, the Transgo kit is the "better" one to go with if you have to go with a kit (in this case you do.)

-J

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
The trans-go has been alot of fun. Still drives nicely under part throttle. But when you drop the hammer, you get a nice hard downshift and pulls until about 5grand. Good 1-2 shift as well. I'm happy.

the video tells you to drain the pan by undoing the most of the bolts and dumping the contents forward into a pan. I'm sure that works well, but I'm not quite that coordinated, so I flushed the majority of the fluid out as per the tech article: tranny flush

Just follow the video and keep all your stuff organized and you should be fine.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
thanks for the info OKC. i was just stating what i have been told. to each his own i guess!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
By the way, to answer your original question: I'd guess a shop would need at least 5 or 6 hours to install a shift kit for you.

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
yeah, it takes awhile.... especially if you arent familiar with transmissions (like me). But you can get it done comfortably in a day

·
Registered
43 Posts
the fairbanks kit is a top notch kit for the aod. nice hard shifts. works great on the track. even with the trans brake. car has been ran every weekend for past 4 years and never had a problom with it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I am installing the J-Mod and Trans-Go kit, although my Trans-Go kit didnt come with a video, only a paper manual.... now I'm worried other stuff may be missing from it...

I bought mine from Transmission Exchange BTW, anyone else have this issue?

~Kris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts