TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well... just like it says, I completed the models for the linkage between the actual shifter and the dummy shifter. My measurement came out to 7-5/8" from hole to hole. This is with the dummy shifter nicely centered in the AT console opening.

It should be under $20 in materials and 2-3 hours on my dad's milling machine.
The link itself is 1" X 1" cold-rolled steel bar, bushings are hardened oiled bronze (0.5" OD X 0.375" ID X 1" long) the fasteners that hold it all together are a hardened steel shoulder bolt with a .375" X 1" shank.

I'll pass on the mechanical drawings if anyone wants to build one for their current T45 project:)

Sorry the pics kinda suck... I couldn't get a screen shot into a JPEG so I just took a picture of the screen: http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/m571/Triston30/T45 Swap/

Enjoy!

Triston

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Are the bolts designed to thread through the existing holes in the shifter? Or are you designing them to drill out the shifter and make it just a pass through hole?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The threaded holes in the shifter handles will be clear-bored to accept the bushing with a 0.0005" interference fit. I figure with a larger cross-sectional area of the shift lever taken up by the bushing, the load will be better distributed; minimizing localized stress points and yeilding an extended service life of the bushings. It should have a very solid feel to it. I'd like it to feel like there's no extension at all.
I guess we'll find out this weekend.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I see what your saying. I would imagine that would firm everything up pretty well. The only down side to that, and maybe its just a down side to me, is once you drill out the holes in your shifter, I can't be used for anything else. If you wanted to try a different shifter you couldn't re sell that one because the holes are drilled out. Not unless you find someone willing to re drill their handle to take a larger bolt and re tap eveything anyways. I'd like to find a way to thread a piece in there somehow and put the bushings on the ends into the linkage itself and leave the shifter into a stock configuration. Thats the biggest gripe I have about my setup, fairly tight but I can feel slop in it and it rattles.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's kinda what I was afraid of... slop & rattles. (Not trying to beat up on your work).
I'm just using two stock T-5 shifters though. You can score those on craigslist all day for $15 a pop so I'm not too worried about hacking them up. I already welded the dummy shifter together anyway so it's useless outside a Tbird/T45 setup.
I'm hoping to have it all machined & installed by the end of this weekend. I'll be sure to post how it turns out.

Triston

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
No beat up on my work all you like, I'm ok with how it is, but I am long ways away from liking it. And yeah if your using stock shifters I wouldnt worry about modifying them to fit anything, I hacked the stock shifter Im using in my setup all to pieces. But in the trans I have a Pro 5.0 short throw. So if at sometime I wanted to sell it and try something else, theoretically I could, because it's not modified in anyway. But yeah let me know how it works, my mind is always working trying to figure a way to improve my setup.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like for you to send me the prints. I am about to start my own swap soon, and would appreciate any prints or knowledge you can pass along TY

1 - 8 of 8 Posts