TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, it gets stuck once in a while when its cold out side. its mostly when the car is cold in the morning and its been sitting in a while in the cold. it gets really irritating in the morning to stay there for like 2 min trying to get it out of park. i have learned to wiggle it all around before it gets out...what is wrong with my shifter?

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Could be a couple of things there is a brake interlock that won't allow you to shift if your foot isn't on the brake. The solonoid that controls that could be going bad or more common your brake switch is going bad. When it is giving you problems have some look to see if your brake lights are coming on, if not it's the BOO switch

·
AnimeWhore
1,796 Posts
hmm...My shifter gets a really sluggish and stiff when it's cold, but I've never had it totally stick. Could it have anything to do with lubrication maybe? Does it feel like it's just really hard to move, or mechanically locked?

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the shifter slides perfect thru the track...and its not lubrication of the shifter assembly...its maybe bad lubraication of the button...cause its for sure mechanicaly locked....but then when pushing hard on the button it clicks off and u can pull the shifter....if i leave the car to warm up for a couple of minutes...it works perfect....

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Yeah, mine did that once...turned out to be the solenoid that actuates the interlock cable was bad.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep...brake lights work all the time so it should be the selenoid...

anyone give me any tips on where it is located? and how much it costs? or how hard it is to replace

·
Registered
364 Posts
How about this...go to auto zone and pick one up for a few dollars. I can't remember if they have them in stock or not. If i remember correctly they did. It is a very simple task. It is up on the left side of your shaft for your brake. Well it should assuming it is the same as mine. Unplug, take it out, and replace it. If you need any help I am willing to help the poor. I thought I had to replace mine last year, but it ended up being just a wire through the engine compartment for the switch. But if the switch is bad, your brake lights shouldn't work when you can't shift it out of park. Well that is my understanding. Its worth a shot considering it is two or three bucks. Give me a call.

-Brian

Gratiot this weekend????

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
brake lights work all the time...cold or not outside...summer is here so now it works nice...but i need to fix it for winter....i dont wanna wait to get it out of park....is it the brake switch that i buy at auto zone that is the problem or is it the selenoid.?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts