TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just swapped a 97 mark trains and converter into my 95 cougar got it buttoned up and when you put it in gear the starter engages. anyone know what I messed up? worked on it for 11hours today at an hourly rate and have to go back tomorrow ;(

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
you mean the starter is engaged against the flexplate all the time when your driving? or when you put it in gear the starter spins up like your turning the key?

i would bet the starter drive gear is stuck out and isn't retracting back in. otherwise, I'm not sure if its possible, but if you installed your flexplate backwards it might also be contacting the starter gear even while its retracted. but i would think the teeth would be contacting the block before the starter >.>

cant imagine how any of the wiring could have been messed up so that your shifter linkage would engage the starter :zdunno:

anyway, first thing i would do... and i know its not easy on these cars... would be to remove the starter and inspect it. check over the connections and the movement of the drive gear. heck take it to the local parts store like Oreilly's and have them test it.

if all else fails dropping the trans to check the flexplate would be the unfortunate last resort.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
something was screwy with the mlps. I replaced and readjusted it and it fixed the problem

on a side note I dig the tranny and converter :)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
weird. i mean yeah the neutral safety switch in their wont let you start without it being in neutral or park. but starting it when the shifter is moved : /

well at least you found the problem, and yeah, i just saw you said you did the trans. i think maybe it was something about it being spelled trains that made me miss it :tongue:

still though i hope you flushed the rad cooler and lines.

edit : i know what happened, i got your thread mixed up with another one i was reading where they swapped just the T/C sorry about that XD

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Sounds very strange ... the MLPS only completes the starter circuit when in Park / Neutral, the Ignition switch would have to be in the Start position for it to even get power. Unless it was getting power from the Reverse or PCM circuits ( Mis-adjusted MLPS or internally shorted could cause this but I have never seen it happen personally unless the Ignition switch were stuck in Start ) :confused:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds very strange ... the MLPS only completes the starter circuit when in Park / Neutral, the Ignition switch would have to be in the Start position for it to even get power. Unless it was getting power from the Reverse or PCM circuits ( Mis-adjusted MLPS or internally shorted could cause this but I have never seen it happen personally unless the Ignition switch were stuck in Start ) :confused:
I witnessed it and still am left shaking my head over it.

I am going to replace the tranny harness with a better condition one. I have a 97 mk8 harness if they are the same.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hadnt messed with it really until now. My harness is ate up with bare wires touching all over the place. I know what my weekend project is going to be...

edit- Here's a pic. The wires to this plug where the insulation was exposed was brittle from the heat. ALL of the wires had broken insulation. No wonder I was having issues. Took the plug off my other harness and soldered it to this one and insulated the wires better. About to go reinstall the harness. There were a couple other minor wire issues but this was the main culprit.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I had to solder my harness too. Those connectors have replaceable pins, so you can repair individual circuits, but I couldn't find any parts stores that had the right size pins. Not even the Ford dealer. So I had to solder and butt-connect a new piece of wire in. I only had to take care of one wire; it was only hanging on by 3 strands!

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
If you need a new connector & pigtail, I have a parts car.....

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had to solder my harness too. Those connectors have replaceable pins, so you can repair individual circuits, but I couldn't find any parts stores that had the right size pins. Not even the Ford dealer. So I had to solder and butt-connect a new piece of wire in. Ilonly had to take care of one wire; it was only hanging on by 3 strands!
I thought about pulling the pins but I am better soldering than being patient pulling pins from a harness. :D

Thanks for the offer. Its fixed now. I actually had one in the trunk. I kept it "just in case"

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Good that you found it, how do you suspect that happened ?? Crushed during installation of new transmission ? Pins not fully lined up while connecting harness ?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
On a side note, when you put that 97 tranny in your Cougar, did you change the TCC solenoid inside the tranny? They ARE DIFFERENT (one is a low ohm and one a high); I just didn't know if that caused your wire melting issue.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good that you found it, how do you suspect that happened ?? Crushed during installation of new transmission ? Pins not fully lined up while connecting harness ?
I think years of heat weakened the insulation and then changing the transmission sealed its fate.

On a side note, when you put that 97 tranny in your Cougar, did you change the TCC solenoid inside the tranny? They ARE DIFFERENT (one is a low ohm and one a high); I just didn't know if that caused your wire melting issue.
Yes I did. Made sure that was one of the first things I did as not to forget it. Didnt want to deal with a burnt up PCM as well as a messed up transmission. lol

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I think years of heat weakened the insulation and then changing the transmission sealed its fate.
Those wires do get pretty brittle after almost 20 years! :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Come to find out the male side of the plug is just as bad as the female side was. That one I do not have. I will be sending a PM.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Come to find out the male side of the plug is just as bad as the female side was. That one I do not have. I will be sending a PM.
All answered - I'm glad I could help!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyone happen to know where the car side of that harness goes? Just want to get an idea how I am going to solder these wires. Hard to tell if it goes inside the car, back to the engine compartment, or where. I do know the idea of laying on my back and soldering over my head is not appealing.

I have a very limited time I can actually work on it due to living in apartments and them being anal about working on cars so I am trying to line all my ducks up before diving in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts