TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how high the actual shifter mech. on a 95 sticks up through the floor? I haven't popped my console out to see yet and figured someone may know. I have an idea for a B&M Mega Shifter install, but not sure if I can pull it off. I basically want to delete the center console and install the shifter, but I need to know if I do this, if the shifter can sit directly on the floor and still work properly. I'm gonna get a junkyard console and fab up a new one if this is do-able so I can still retain the heat vent and cubbyhole for storage, but not have a huge console between the seats anymore. I'm used to having the shifter at a lower level and not just resting my arm on the console. Wierd angle when you are trying to shift quick sometimes. Just a thought. Have to wait and see. Thanks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I pulled my 97 center console to clean a Coke spill, and made a mental note of the shifter mechanism.

I did not remove it, but it looked like the entire mechanism was attached to the top of the trans hump, with the shifter cable running through the floor. I would imagine that a B&M would sit in the same place. I thought about deleting my center console as well, but I do rest my arm on it, and I didn't want to try to fab up something on the underside of the dash to blend it in.

I think a B&M console style will drop in as a replacement if you want the shifter, but want the console as well. You may have to fab up a new shifter boot...

Doug

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, that's what I was hoping for. I really don't rest my arm there anyway. I can just hang onto the shifter handle at that point. I figure that if I keep the shifter at floor level, then when my arm is relaxed, it will just kinda naturally hang that way anyway, so I can just rest on the t-handle of the shifter. I can fab the console, no prob. I know a guy that can weld plastic, so if I cut something up and make it fit, I can have nice seams and then either paint it or cover it in thin blue vinyl to match the carpet/interior color. Besides, if I delete part of the console, it will be less likely to accumulate crap in it, since it would be more open, and I think it would look pretty nice IF I can get the shifter and console to match up and keep a clean line with the rest of the int. I want it to look like it came that way, not just a chopped up console w/ a shiny shifter on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts