TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I park the car and move the gear shift from Drive to Park the movement of the shifter has resistance or stops at the reverse position. If I move back to Neutral and move it to Park it's OK. Could this be the shifter cable or the MLPS? There are no problems with the transmission's operation. 137,000 miles driven.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts
Could be the cable sticking, and I suppose the MLPS could stick but I haven't heard of that. First thing I'd do would be to remove the center console top, pull the shift knob and take the gear indicator bezel off and be sure there isn't anything obviously wrong at the top end of things. E.G. foreign objects interfering with the action; stuff has a tendency to fall down under there and collect.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yep, i had a dime slip under that sliding cover, made the shifter stick a bit for a while like your describing, and then it wouldn't move back into park at all.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
First thing I'd do would be to remove the center console top, pull the shift knob and take the gear indicator bezel off and be sure there isn't anything obviously wrong at the top end of things. E.G. foreign objects interfering with the action; stuff has a tendency to fall down under there and collect.
I would start there. Make sure nothing is in the way under the PRND21 bezel. Once on mine the OD wires were routed incorrectly, moving to the right and binding up in the track. There is also the little plastic piece that moves the gear indicator could be broken.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts