TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned a very scary fact about my car yesterday afternoon. I had just picked up my 10 year old cousin from school and needed to run by the grocery store before returning home. My cousin did not want to come inside with me, so I cracked the windows and left him in the car. When I come back outside I am shocked to find my car in the grass right behind the spot I left it in. My cousin was behind my bird trying to push it back where I left it! Hilarious I know, but dangerous never the less. So after I move the car back into an appropriate spot, I have to ask him how this happened. He said that he was sitting in the passenger seat and simply pressed the button on the shifter and moved it down into reverse. I checked and he was not lying. I am able to shift into any gear without even having to start the car. No brake petal or anything like that either. So the question is, how do I fix this? I mean I know not to leave him in the car anymore, but the whole shifter moving without the brake petal thing. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but my shifter does not light up at all either. It is a 1995 Ford Thunderbird with a 4.6 v8 and an automatic transmission. Thanks in advanced! -Kevin

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I can't help you with your issue, but it is always recommended to set your parking/emergency brake whenever you park the car. If your car is tapped in a wreck, and it breaks the tab in the transmission, it can become mobile going who knows where. And youngin's can't get the car to move as easily. :thumbsup:

And if you have rear disc brakes, setting the parking brake is what adjusts them. :D

I'm glad it only ended up in the grass, it could have been considerably worse!! :beek:

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
The shift interlock cable that is either disconected or broken.

-Miller

·
Registered
474 Posts
I dont have kids or anything but I kinda like being able to just put it in gear. Great for when you back in a spot. Just throw it in gear and hit the gas.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
The shift interlock cable that is either disconected or broken.

-Miller
It has been a while since I had my column apart but I think that a broken cable would not allow the shifter out of park in any case; the cable is what disengages the lock.
I would take the covers off the column and grease the cable up, it is probably sticking.

·
5,650 Posts
It has been a while since I had my column apart but I think that a broken cable would not allow the shifter out of park in any case; the cable is what disengages the lock.
I would take the covers off the column and grease the cable up, it is probably sticking.
A broken cable would allow it to freely release at any time. The way the interlock works is then when you press the shifter button, the cable is pulled. The steering column mechanically locks the end of the cable when the ignition is in the OFF or ACC position and is mechanically released otherwise (this is why turning the key to just before ON lets you press the button). There is a solenoid that is then energized to lock the cable in place when the ignition is ON, and the cable is only released when the brake pedal is held, which de-energizes the solenoid and releases the cable. So a broken cable, disconnected/faulty solenoid, broken steering column, or broken/disconnected shifter lock linkage will cause the described problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts