TCCoA Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's on a 96 4.6 bird having issues with the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Not sure of the exact symptoms as of yet I'll update this more as I get the rest of the info. Auto trans isn't my thing, hence I drive a manual. Just trying to help out a friend, input would be great. Thanks guy's.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,452 Posts
The more details, the better. Check the fluid. Level? Color? Smell? Also check the common problems/troubleshooting pages of Jerry's Thesis for some info as well.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,452 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
My first guess is it's low on fluid...

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, hesitation shifting into second, the shift is between 2,800 & 3,200 rpm's. I have not yet noticed any patern with the issue. It's completely random as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay so now the trans is done, looking for a trans that I can swap into it with little modification. I already suggested a 5spd swap and got shot down. I've heard a little about the 4r75w,can I swap one into a 96 4.6 bird with little modification.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Okay so now the trans is done, looking for a trans that I can swap into it with little modification. I already suggested a 5spd swap and got shot down. I've heard a little about the 4r75w,can I swap one into a 96 4.6 bird with little modification.
Aside from having to do the normal 99+ 4R70W modifications, you need to have a chip or Xcal to change the OSS count in the tune, which needs to be done by a tuner. Absolutely no way around this.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So if I can't do a tune, then just stick with the trans that should be in there or is there a direct swap upgrade of sorts.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Yeah dude just throw random parts at it until it works! To hell with testing the resistance on them, or ensuring they are operating correctly!

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Because a stock 96 4r70w was a TOTAL POS when it was brand new.
A TOTAL POS?

Perhaps, some people say the same thing about the 4R70W in my '94 Bird.

I've kept it going for 19 years with just a little TLC. I suppose if I beat the crap out of it, it would not hold up.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Because a stock 96 4r70w was a TOTAL POS when it was brand new.
I beg to differ. Mine has held up just fine. I've given it plenty of abuse in the 80,000 miles that I have been operating it. The only thing I've had to change was my 1-2 accumulator and spring. Everything else has held up just fine. It has almost 160,000 miles on it with no signs of failure in sight.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I beg to differ. Mine has held up just fine. I've given it plenty of abuse in the 80,000 miles that I have been operating it. The only thing I've had to change was my 1-2 accumulator and spring. Everything else has held up just fine. It has almost 160,000 miles on it with no signs of failure in sight.
I could destroy yours in an afternoon without exceeding Redline - You can't kill mine doing that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.