TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
It is nice
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an intermittent problem where after 2nd gear it won't engage 3rd gear. Most of the time it shifts normally but today it acted up again and for a longer period of time than usual of a minute or less. While driving normally after 2nd gear it wouldn't engage 3rd, and seems like it just goes into neutral revving up but not accelerating at all. It seems like it does it at an certain mph. If i manually move the shifter to 2nd it runs ok for small roads but I am limited on speed of about 40-45mph unless i really rev it to hell to squeeze some more speed out of it. Any ideas? Keep in mind I have a xcal2 tune also. thx :(

·
Registered
154 Posts
mine did the same thing except when my 4th gear went, i stopped.. after i took off again, 3rd gear went. next stop sign, 2nd gear went. final stop 1st gear went.... I was made to go in reverse back to my house a good... 2 miles. Although yours aren't all going out so idk

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts

·
It is nice
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright, thx for the help

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Sounds like POS Roller Clutch died - Welcome to the Club.

·
It is nice
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got a local shops rebuild quote of $1300 including convertor; he said this happens alot on these transmissions guess i will just drive it like this for a while before i do anything : (

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Ide swap the speedo gear and nss b4 looking into rebuild.. Sensors can make the tranny do dumb things

·
It is nice
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea i'm strapped for cash atm so probably will just drive it like this till it gets worse; it's driving normal most the time. I will look into swapping those out just no idea where they go will have to research some. thx

·
It is nice
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found an article on the speedo gear will try replacing that first as it seems simple enough and my gauges have been going wacky; sometimes the speedometer just shoots up sometimes,etc. I'm sure once i remove the gear i can see how damaged it is compared to the new one. Will jack stands in the rear or front be sufficient to get in there? thx again

·
Registered
154 Posts
dang. 1300 bones? I cant really say much tho because mine cost me a grand and 30 cents lol but then again ive been having problems ever since i got it back from the place i took it to

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
$1300 an EXCELLENT price if they are going to upgrade Tranny Internals - BUT you still need a TC fm D/D & a new Cooler fm ebay or you might as well throw $2k down the drain...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts