TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, yesterday my car started acting weird. It's shifting too quick. I'll hit the gas, and at about 10mph (light or heavy acceleration) it will shift into second, then shift right into third, and by 40 mph I'm already in OD. It's not winding up at all through the gears (revs staying low), even at WOT. Its just banging through the gears real quick. It's a 32 valve with a Mark VIII tranny and torque converter and a tune(did the swap about 5 years ago and its run fine since day one). So I'm guessing since its shifting, that the tranny is still good and its gotta be some sort of sensor or solenoid or something. Any ideas?

- Mark

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts
Do a search for "MLPS". That'd be my guess. The early (94 and 95 cars) had crappy MLPS's mine went out less than 6 months after I bought the car brand new! The one they replaced it with went out like 2 years later. I think by '96 Ford had upgraded the sensor and fixed the early problem.

Oh, and try cleaning the MAF. A dirty MAF will cause all kinds of strange problems.
Even if the MAF is not the problem cleaning it won't hurt.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not slipping at all (that I've noticed anyway), just shifting real quick. Just took it for another ride, started it up and put it in drive and it started bogging for a few seconds like it wanted to die, then was ok. Pull out on the road and once again it just banged through the gears real quick. Before 40 mph I was in OD. I read a lot of the other posts about MLPS and I'm not convinced thats what it is, but its a possibility. Anyone else have an opinion? MAF is fine by the way. Thanks
- Mark

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the MAF and air filter are ok then check the battery and alternator. Put an amp meter on the battery while she is charging and see if they are putting out at least 13.5 volts?
Battery is fine, alternator is good too (less than 6 months old). I called my uncle (a Ford parts man) and told him what its doing and he immediately said the MLPS too so I'll check that out tonight. Thanks for the suggestions guys

- Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts