TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those with AOD:
I have tried to figure out what are good shift points when racing with an automatic. Any suggestions for what rpms and speed to shift from 1 to D and D to OD? One other question, when shifting should keep my foot on the gas or let go when shifting and press again when shifted?

·
Registered
659 Posts
the best rpm to shift at is the HP peak......whatever that is for your engine.
I shift mine at 5800. but i have done quite a bit to my engine. they best way to find out where you hp peak is is a dyno of course, but you can figure it out by experimenting at the drag strip, by shifting at different rpms, say start at 4500, and then increase it by 100-200 rpm till you get the quickest time.

Keep you foot on the wood, otherwise you are causing the pressure in the transmission to drop, pressure is directly connected to throttle position, which could cause slippage when you get back into it.

Mike

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5800!:eek:
yeah i really think you must have done something to shift at that rpm, where do redline and what's your rev limit now? Stock on 5.0 is at 5000 rpms and peak hp is 4000 rpms. Should i rev the second gear (when at 1 ) upto the 4000 or lower?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Use the 1-D-1-D shift pattern. It shouldn't hurt anything unless you do this ALL the time. Basically, start out in 1 then when you are ready to shift into second, slide the shifter into D and back to 1. This allows you to manually control the 2-3 upshift. When you're ready for 3rd, slide the shifter into D. I've never had mine to the track but it seems to shift best between 4800-5200rpm in the 1-2 upshift. Wait too long with a stock engine and it tends to flatten out, no more power.

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so your saying that as soon as i shift to "D" slingshot it back to "1" then do the shift to "D" when its time?

·
Registered
659 Posts
mn12xr7 said:
5800!:eek:
yeah i really think you must have done something to shift at that rpm, where do redline and what's your rev limit now? Stock on 5.0 is at 5000 rpms and peak hp is 4000 rpms. Should i rev the second gear (when at 1 ) upto the 4000 or lower?
its still pulling into the 6250 eec limiter.............but when i dynoed it 5800 is where hp peaked and started to fall off..

you can start where you feel power start to fall off, or the car kinda nose over

Mike

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
mn12xr7 said:
so your saying that as soon as i shift to "D" slingshot it back to "1" then do the shift to "D" when its time?
yep. i wouldnt do it lightning fast, just when you push it up into D, press the shifter button and pull it back into 1st. doing so holds second gear, and D again is third.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Ummm...don't do the 1-D-1 shuffle unless you feel lucky or feel like paying for a new trans. Sorry, but that isn't even a good idea.

John

·
Registered
659 Posts
lighten up john, i did it for years. the only trans problem i ever had was when my converter finally shot crap.

when i tore my trans down, for upgrades, i didn't notice any unusal wear.

Mike

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
It seems like a crap shoot if you do it. I have known 3 people that did that (stangs mainly) and all of them were looking at a rebuild in less than a year. Coincidence is possible, but if you want to shift manually, just get a damn manual valve body and do it right.

My $.02

John

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
absolutely right Dode, that's what I'll be doing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts