TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before

After sanding 600 grit and then 1500 grit.

Painted top edge to match car with Plastikote.
Overall clear coated with Plastikote ENGINE clear.
First layer light, dry well then wet really good.
Barely attacked the plastic. other clears attack the plastic and craze it.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not so easy. Tried and done and just not worth the effort.

In the sunlight the yellow is not really noticable. If somebody comes over and complains about it , they'll get the swift kick.

rm

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ya gotta wonder why they didn't make the headlight lens out of the same plastic used for the corner lights. Have you ever seen a corner that looked like most of the headlights?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think that looks really good Richard. I thought about using clearcoat on them too.
A lot of popular opinion says that UV rays are largely to blame for the hazing on clear plastic lenses. I know that UV can be very harsh, but since the lens is clear, wouldn't the UV effect cause it to haze all the way through instead of just on the outer surface? :confused: :rolleyes: Why doesn't it affect the corners in the same manner? :confused: :rolleyes:

Just a little snack for your brain to munch on. ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wow, that is awesome! My drivers side headlight lens has been replaced, but the passenger side one looks crusty. Now I know how to fix it. This could possibly be a technical article. :)

·
Registered
824 Posts
looks good, btw the corner of your hood looks bent..

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First, the UV rays attack the surface and as they pass through the lense they are attentuated. Therefore, they only degrade so deep into the plastic.
That's why sanding it off is the best way to go.

now I could have just polished them from there, but then with the sun In Albuquerque, it would take no time to haze over. I decided to find a clearcoat that would not attack the lense once sprayed and this is what I found, the plastikote clear engine enamel. We'll see how long it lasts.
In fact I am going to test on a spare lense the ability to clearcoat the lense now with another layer with the same pearl that Ihave in the flames.

As for the hood being bent. You are looking at a fiberglass hood that does not perfectly replicate the stock one.
Likewise. headlight aiming requires the lenses to sit just so, so I have not messed with it. I have thought off using a black margin all around to make it less distinct.

BTW, I also ground off the little nubs on the lense and some of the marking text that is cast into the plastic before finishing it.

rm

·
Registered
303 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
I did that a few years ago, it held up really well......until the clear was chipped by a passing rock. It was down hill from there. They good thing is that you can just repeat the sanding and spraying over and over again :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts