TCCoA Forums banner

Shipping a Fuel Tank

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  T6Rocket 
#1 ·
I am getting another fuel tank (plastic) for my Toyota. Of course, finding a box that fits is tricky. I told him to make a box from two smaller boxes. He wanted to just shrink wrap it, lol! Any ideas on shipping something of that size/shape. It is odd shaped with the filler tube built into the tank.

Thanks,
Al

#3 ·
Local FedEx and UPS offices claim they do custom packaging but when I brought them some wheel opening moldings they said they didn't have any cardboard stock big enough. Depending on the size of the tank and the quality of service at that local shipping office they might be able to handle it.

#4 ·
Consider Greyhound or Fastenal. Both can ship bulky items from terminal to terminal or store ot store.
I found Greyhound cheaper via Busfreighter (a reseller of greyhound) but you might want to compare

Fastenal does it cheaper BUT their picture seems like they are only running regional networks right now
Also, mixed reviews. Esp if your stuff goes through multiple warehouses (not likely given the pandemic) OR into a store with a guy named Andy working there

#5 ·
If it's had fuel in it before, have the guy cover up all the openings so fuel vapors don't escape. It may also require hazard shipping if shipping through UPS. Not sure how other carriers would do it, but I'd imagine it'd be similar.

Also through UPS, if he were to ship it in just bubble wrap, it would then likely be considered bulk item due to its irregular shape, and therefore have added shipping charges added on.

#6 ·
Before shipping, I would wash it out well with some detergent, rinse well, let it air dry, then use some rubbing alcohol in it, swishing it around, to remove any water left.

Before the OTHER person put it in, I'd have them wash it and do the alcohol trick again.

RwP

#7 ·
Thanks. I think it's been a long time since it's had fuel in it.

Al

#12 ·
Shrink the gas tank? lol!

Thanks for the tips, but I received the tank last year from the guy, and shipped the old one this year myself, using the same box.

Al

#9 · (Edited)
I think you can easily find a company that will transport a fuel tank. I think that it is like car shipping services, and the prices will be the same. Recently I have seen on the Discovery channel how people are transporting a whole house on a truck to another state, so I don't think that transporting a fuel tank can be a problem. Nowadays you can transport almost everything all over the world at an excellent price. Isn't this great that we live in such a wonderful time when the process of globalization is nearly finished.

#11 ·
I'd wash it until you can set it out in the sun for an hour, and it doesn't smell like gas.
Gas fumes explode;no one is going to ship that, most likely.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.