TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well looking forward to getting my Tbird back again. Moved from Charleston SC to Lincoln NE and could only pull one car so i had to leave the Bird in Orlando with family.

I wondering how many other people have shipped a car and how much it cost. I paid 595 which is really cheap and the semi is suppose to pick it up on monday. Now idk how this company which was a broker (had to give them 195 for Deposit and i give the semi 400 on arrival) got a company to deliver for that because most other companies quoted anywhere from 750-1000.

As long as the bird gets here at some point and unharmed i dont really care how long it takes.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Well looking forward to getting my Tbird back again. Moved from Charleston SC to Lincoln NE and could only pull one car so i had to leave the Bird in Orlando with family.

I wondering how many other people have shipped a car and how much it cost. I paid 595 which is really cheap and the semi is suppose to pick it up on monday. Now idk how this company which was a broker (had to give them 195 for Deposit and i give the semi 400 on arrival) got a company to deliver for that because most other companies quoted anywhere from 750-1000.

As long as the bird gets here at some point and unharmed i dont really care how long it takes.

Shipped 2 cars in my lifetime , and your story is on par. Was good all the way around ;) Except one time was in the winter and car was covered with road salt !

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Cost me $475 to go from Florida to Chicago recently. It was $100 for the broker and the rest to the driver.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I've shipped cars a few times from Texas to California.

* Everyone you find online is a broker. They take the down payment as a commission and your payment to the actual truck driver is what the driver makes. Some shipping companies claim to be "shippers" but in reality, they are just brokers who happen to own one truck.

* The reason why you pick one broker over another is because one might be more or less selective on which truck drivers they use.

* I specifically picked National Auto Shippers because they would guarantee, in writing, the following items. Note: I had to edit the contract myself but they agreed to the following terms:

- The down payment would be fully refundable within 7 days if the car was NOT picked up on the agreed upon date OR 24 hours afterwards (lots of horror stories come up about brokers who take orders and then sit on it)

- The car will be loaded and unloaded on the same truck by the SAME DRIVER. My POC @ the broker asked that we add verbage that says that in the event of a truck breakdown, a substitute truck may be used. I made sure that the contract states I would be contacted immediately if there was to be a truck change.

* I also picked them for door to door shipping (NOT to a terminal). The driver was actually pretty cool because we wrote in the contract that if the delivery was on a weekday, they would drop off at my office in San Jose. If the delivery was to be on a weekend, they would drop off in my house in SF. The reality is that the guy called me up on SF and asked to meet me ~2 miles away (which was fine b/c my house is on a big hill). It only cost me a short taxi ride over (versus going to the shipping terminal on the other site of the Bay in Alameda which would have been an incredible pain).

* Some places recommend going with a broker that do NOT take any money up front because less reputable places will take your money and pick your car up whenever they feel like it. I made sure that my contract said pickup within 48 hours of a target date or I would get a 100% refund on my fee.

* Payment to the driver was in CASH or money order. Cash was fine with me. I did make sure to thoroughly inspect the car before handing over the cash.

* Shipping items in cars. Some shippers say you can do it but with one warning: the state patrols reserve the right to inspect any vehicles that drive across the borders of their state (looking for fruit, for example). There's no guarantee or warranty that they will put the stuff from your trunk back into the car. Bottom line: I received some spare car spare parts in the trunk but nothing that I would miss if it didn't make it from the cross-country shipment. Obviously, ship the title to the car separately.

* The yelp.com of shipping is Transportreviews.com. The problem is that several of these companies compensate reviewers. If you are offered a $50 "rebate" for writing a review of the service you received from XXX company, what are the chances you would risk your $50 rebate just to give an honest review of a companies shoddy service? Not very likely.

* If you search for car shippers, you will find plenty of sites that will email you with quotes ASAP from 5-10-15 different shippers.

Be prepared to get a innundated with emails and/or calls. I used a throwaway email address for the quotes and the calls stopped after ~2 months when I finally told the last one that I had already shipped my car. Recommendation: don't use an email address you actually like for the quote response.

-g

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've shipped cars a few times from Texas to California.

Be prepared to get a innundated with emails and/or calls. I used a throwaway email address for the quotes and the calls stopped after ~2 months when I finally told the last one that I had already shipped my car. Recommendation: don't use an email address you actually like for the quote response.-g
That is the best info right there. I have had to block countless companies because not only will they send one email but they will send like 4 follow up emails. They also do blow up your phone like crazy.

Also as soon as my Broker posted the contract on the board i had a truck company email saying ill never get my car moved working with them etc etc etc and that i should go with him for a mear 300 bucks more lol.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
I spent 995 to get my car delivered from Phoenix. Like the others say, use a throwaway email address. I had to report one company that I didn't go with to the BBB to get them to stop calling my phone, even after asking them to stop.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Somebody tell me where they want a car taken, I'll drive it and take a plane/bus home!

If anyone is serious, let me know where you need the car taken from and to. I travel all over on a regular basis anyways, so I'm sure I could work something out with you!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Last time I moved I just moved them all myself, 3 cars, 2 motorcycles and a 20 ft boat. I was only 700 miles one way, but just figured it was cheaper and safer

I had to start the job before the house closed and drove the Tbird pulling a small U-haul trailer when I started the job.

Flew back one way 3 weeks later and rented a U-haul truck which I put in all my tools, heavy stuff from the garage, and 2 motorcycles in the back pulling the boat.

Flew back a month later one way and wife and I drove the other 2 cars.

Cost $900 for the truck and gas plus two $75 plane tickets. Not bad if you have the time. I was flying home anyway and saved the round trip ticket price.

I shipped a Tbird once, but they put it in the moving van with the furniture. Not sure of the actual cost as the company picked it up.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Had my bird shipped from south texas to mo. for $550. Everyones right about the companies, theyre quick to bad mouth others. I had one company tell me I would not get my car. Search around. I went with the one who wouldnt talk smack about their competiters

·
Boost!!!
814 Posts
Somebody tell me where they want a car taken, I'll drive it and take a plane/bus home!

If anyone is serious, let me know where you need the car taken from and to. I travel all over on a regular basis anyways, so I'm sure I could work something out with you!
here ya go... you can drive my bird from sunset la to the nc meet after thanksgiving for me so i can just fly there...lol
may not be very cost effective though roughly 1000 miles. would more than 200 each way in fuel alone+plane tickets...wouldn't be cheap at all with all that plus rooms for the weekend...i might just have to save up for a year just so i can plan that 1 trip.

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
here ya go... you can drive my bird from sunset la to the nc meet after thanksgiving for me so i can just fly there...lol
may not be very cost effective though roughly 1000 miles. would more than 200 each way in fuel alone+plane tickets...wouldn't be cheap at all with all that plus rooms for the weekend...i might just have to save up for a year just so i can plan that 1 trip.
Hey! You're almost in my neck of the woods :diablo:

Only about 200 miles separate us, most of it I-49 and about 5 I-20, plus whatever it takes to get to I-49 in Sunset.

You ever make the Alexandria LA Pipe's U-Pull-It?

RwP

·
Boost!!!
814 Posts
Hey! You're almost in my neck of the woods :diablo:

Only about 200 miles separate us, most of it I-49 and about 5 I-20, plus whatever it takes to get to I-49 in Sunset.

You ever make the Alexandria LA Pipe's U-Pull-It?

RwP
1.Cool we will have to meet up one day.
2.you talkin about a parts yard? I just worked in Alexandria today...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts