TCCoA Forums banner

SHO Spoiler Install Woes

2K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  greencurse 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any tips for installing a spoiler of anykind particularyly an SHO. my car already has the "sport" spoiler and i know i need to fill those holes in but does anyone have any measurement tips or placement tips of this thing because i am afraid of just drilling into virgin sheetmetal

Thanks,
tyler

#2 · (Edited)
I set mine on the trunk lid with the studs removed, and positioned it to where the spacing was equal on both sides, next I marked it with masking tape. I then put the studs back in and put masking tape down where the studs hit. I positioned the spoiler according to the placement of the masking tape from when I had the spoiler laying flat on the trunk lid, and then when I was satisfied, I made marks around the studs. I used those marks to drill and got it spot on. That's the best way I've found to do it since there's no template to put a SHO spoiler on a bird. The real pain is drilling through the trunk frame...

#3 ·
yeah i'm throwing in the towel for this install im gonna take it to a local custom body shop and get them to install it as well as shave the thunderbird lx, and ford emblems as well as the trunk lock.... we will see how much this ones gonna cost....

#4 ·
put some globs of paint on the studs, lay it where you want it and drill away, not easy but it does work.

#5 ·
yeah i tried that i think that the shape of the spoiler is just really hard to deal with... im gonna give it a couple more tries myself and the paint idea will atleast give me a rough idea thanks

#7 ·
your right thats why it is sitting right next to me :)

#8 ·
I put it on mine w/o trimming it and i think it looks alright, see for yourself in the Taurus spoilers on t-birds thread.

#9 ·
:zwthstpd: I just drill some holes and bolted mine down after painting it.

#10 ·
ehh im not in any hurry i just bought it out of impulse ill get it on there in the next month or so... i mean if worse comes to worst the autobody class is right next door ;) plus i am more worried about getting my pbr's on!

#11 · (Edited)
OK, think about trying this.

Turn spoiler upside down.

Remove studs or screws so just holes are left.

Apply just a very small dab of silicone adhesive to a couple of spots on bottom of mount pedestals or pads near holes.

Apply some regular plain white paper so it sticks way out on both sides.

Carefully mark and punch holes in paper to match ones in spoiler base.

Set spoiler right side up on trunk lid.

Adjust to position the spoiler just perfect.

Tape paper to trunk with masking tape.

Carefully remove spoiler while leaving plain white paper taped to trunk (the ones with holes matching the spoiler, hence just using small dabs of silicone adhesive).

Drill holes in trunk to match the holes in paper.

Mark and drill larger access holes in inner trunk support to allow access to fsteners.

Remove paper templates.

Put a dab of paint on edges of bare sheet metal around holes maybe.

Attach spoiler, etc, and consider making base gaskets from thin foam rubber or inner tube.

Hope it helped.

#12 ·
that is an awesome tutorial im going to go attempt it right now since i have some free time i will post pics if i do in fact get it on!!!!! thank you so much!

#13 ·
yep ive got the spots on the white paper market with the rtv now im gonna get the drill!!!! wish me luck!

#14 ·
i'm with greencurse i gotta do the same thing with the same spoiler.. and am errrr was a lil worried about gettin it straight. this place ROCKS for info. CHEERS PEOPLE.

#15 ·
well its straight but i am going to have to get some bolts without the washer built on to them that is my only problem right now it looks as good as i expected which with my hurried attitude is pretty darn good i just need to get those bolts so i can be assured its not gonna pull a fast and furious floor board move

#16 ·
all mounted up and secure... it doesnt even rattle when i slam the trunk all the nuts cost me was .68 cents at lowes for all five... it looks awesome its starting to get overcast now but i will definitely post pics up tomorrow if i get a chance!!!!!!!:D

#19 ·
soon as i can get my moms camera (its the best in the house) but its her birthday so:rolleyes:

#20 ·
how do you remove the bolts??? are they double threaded?use vice grips or something?

#25 ·
:eek:

Well I took it for granted, was concentrating on helping with locating holes, and like I just assumed that if someone wanted to, they would, but you do have a point .... doesn't hurt to remind one. :rolleyes:

Yes .... I painted my holes ..... twice. It was fast dry and then I applied a heavy coat of wax, no buffing, mounted spolier, then buffed uncovered portion of wax. But that's just me. :)

#26 ·
well i learned today that parts from 89 are not very flexible anymore... the spoiler cracked right underneath the LED strip so i had to take it off and repair the crack with some fiberglass mat/resin and it looks good as new minus the paint and some necessary bondo to smooth it all out and feels alot stronger as well but now i got like 14 holes in my trunk lid and im thinking about a) filling them all in (includes blue oval and thunderbird script) or put it back on fill the holes i dont need for the stock spoiler and just fill in the emblem holes and use touch up paint... or b) just get all the holes filled and get the whole decklid repainted.

discuss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.