TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I removed the front springs and shocks from my 1991 XR7 and recycled the springs onto new shocks, upper shock mounts, and lower spring mounts. I used KYB Excel GR-2 shocks (not a choice for canyon curving or autox, but a better choice if I'm driving on Louisiana selected-ruts - err, "well paved high quality roadbeds".)

I put together all the new parts and the old shocks, got them in, and kept scratching my head. I finally looked at the service manual, took it all back apart *groan* and moved the shock shield and upper washer from the old set to the new set.

This was made easier because I could mark the spring as to where it hit the upper shock mount, and reassemble off the car.

I found that with uncut sport springs, it was MUCH easier to unbolt the sway bar (which I was doing the end links also!), the upper control arm, and pop the outer tie rod out of the spindle (again, I was doing the rack bellows - the Moogs lasted about three months!) so I could wrestle the system in and out.

The shocking notice is to be sure to use your dust shield (lower washer) and upper washer when you put them together!

RwP

·
Registered
274 Posts
Ralph what brand rack bellows are you trying this time... our ruts eeer high quality paved roads here in California is hard on parts also and I need something that will last. We have expansion joints between the freeway and bridges where the freeway actually sits lower than the bridge. Talk about being rough on a car. It's enough to rattle your teeth out.

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AC Delco this bout. Dunno how they'll last, but they feel "rubbbery-er" than the Moogs did.

RwP

1 - 3 of 3 Posts