TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, for Christmas I am getting suspension pieces from everyone. And I used the "Suspension Parts" Thread to find most of the part numbers for my rebuild. But the one thing I am still missing is SHOCKS!!!!! But no matter where I search, I cannot find shock part numbers!!!

Here is what I need:

I am getting 2" Vogtland Springs, so I need shocks to go with them.

I have a Sport with JJJJ code springs and shocks I would like the equivalent or stiffer

Bird is used a few times a year Auto-x'ing

Any feedback from personal experience is appreciated

Thanks, Merry Christmas

Clint

·
Super Moderator
10,278 Posts
Tokicos are pretty much it for performance fronts.

Konis are history, as are Bilsteins.

Both are still available for the rear.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Konis arent worth it unless you get the front inserts, there are 300+ buck racing inserts for konis I have heard for the fronts. Must be a reason aside from price no one is using them. Im not referring to the ones that were discontinued.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Konis arent worth it unless you get the front inserts, there are 300+ buck racing inserts for konis I have heard for the fronts. Must be a reason aside from price no one is using them. Im not referring to the ones that were discontinued.
Not sure what you mean here, I'm running KONI shocks all around, and the front two are inserts and they all work great, best $800 ever spent, and all the shocks I have are discontinued now except the rear. Is there some kind of new style KONI front shock for our cars I'm not aware of?

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bilstein in the rear tokicos in the front.
But will having 2 different sets of shocks affect the handling? Will it differ from having 4 matching shocks?

C.Hill

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Not sure what you mean here, I'm running KONI shocks all around, and the front two are inserts and they all work great, best $800 ever spent, and all the shocks I have are discontinued now except the rear. Is there some kind of new style KONI front shock for our cars I'm not aware of?
Yes there seems to be another insert very expensive more than what you have. This is just what I heard. Who spends 600+ on 2 inserts? No one so far.

Konis in the front is what I wanted but they were discontinued before I afforded them.

Having 2 different shocks on the car is not bad at all its way better than the matching monroes I had.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Yes there seems to be another insert very expensive more than what you have. This is just what I heard. Who spends 600+ on 2 inserts? No one so far.

Konis in the front is what I wanted but they were discontinued before I afforded them.

Having 2 different shocks on the car is not bad at all its way better than the matching monroes I had.
Monroes are garbage anyway, known fact lol

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I really am pleased with the Tokico Blues on my '92, been on there with shortened Sport springs since 2008.

:)

I had Konis on my '85 Fox T Bird from 1986 until I sold it last year with 145+ K miles on it and those things were absolutely ..... "SUPER". I never had them past about 1/2 way from loose to firm except when I first installed them to see how stioff they could be .... bone jarring. Fronts adjusted with a big plastic knob, rears you had to take loose at bottom and compress as you turned them in 1/2 turn clicks. I got them on a warehouse liquidation in 1986 out of NJ, $150 for two frt struts and two rear orange Koni adjustable shocks and they were in such a hurry to clean it out, I called one day and the next night as we were eating supper, UPS delivered them. I had only mailed the check that morning!

True story. Wish I could find such a deal today!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Tokicos are pretty much it for performance fronts.

Konis are history, as are Bilsteins.

Both are still available for the rear.
Why not run tokicos all around? Is there something wrong with the rears?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does anyone have the part number for the Tokikos? So i can search ebay/amazon/ect... I always see people saying they run Tokiko "blues" but never a part number. Just seems there are very limited options for the front.

C.Hill

·
Super Moderator
16,738 Posts
Does anyone have the part number for the Tokikos? So i can search ebay/amazon/ect... I always see people saying they run Tokiko "blues" but never a part number. Just seems there are very limited options for the front.

C.Hill
There's only 2 versions available for these cars, the illuminas with the soft/firm setting(SC with ride control) and the blues which are just valved for firm.

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
edit

1 - 20 of 29 Posts