TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I created a new thread so this would not get burried in the old one......

95 LX 4.6L, 97k+ miles with original Shocks, Struts and Springs.

What do I do. Can I do the Following......

Get Ford to replace the original equipment with the Sport or SC equipment?

Is this the best way to go with Ford or Aftermarket. any Ideas or comments are welcome...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update

Local Ford Dealer said the Struts were 87.00 a piece and the Shocks were 27.00 a piece. They will not install teh SC or Sport Springs on the Car. Go Figure.

What is the difference between the Shocks and Stuts from Ford and the Aftermarket ones?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
YOU DON'T HAVE STRUTS

They won't install SC or sport ones because they are designed for use with the sc/sport springs. using them on lx springs will make them the shocks fail quite quickly.

The same is true for most aftermarket pieces, if you want stiffer shocks, your going to have to get stiffer springs too.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just got Tokico Blues for $84 and change shipped each for the front struts. I got new lower control arms on at the same time. So, I need to get an alignment. I will do that this weekend. Once my car is straight I will be able to tell you more about how they feel. So far even without the front end being straight they feel way better than my old stock ones.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Werty said:
I just got Tokico Blues for $84 and change shipped each for the front struts.
Ug!
YOU DON'T HAVE STRUTS!
YOU DON'T HAVE STRUTS!
YOU DON'T HAVE STRUTS!
YOU DON'T HAVE STRUTS!
YOU DON'T HAVE STRUTS!
They say repeating helps to remember.
YOU DON'T HAVE STRUTS!
YOU DON'T HAVE STRUTS!
YOU DON'T HAVE STRUTS!
YOU DON'T HAVE STRUTS!

·
Registered
174 Posts
P.S. (Greenbird) I've heard your speach on the struts vs shocks. Every Ford mechanic I have talked to calls them struts. So, if nothing but for the sake of having people that will be working on my car knowing what I am talking about, I call them struts.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Same Here

I spoke to the Ford Certified Mechanic today and he called them Struts.

I guess Ford Mechanics are Idiots and have no idea what they are talking about. Damn man what kinda school do they send these guys too.............

They are called Struts......

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You must have misread my Post

I want to get the SC/Sport Springs but the Dealer said they will not install them on the LX, They will only install the LX Springs.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Why not just buy the springs and shocks yourself, and take them to a local repair shop for installation? I have Sport springs/LX shocks on the rear of my 95 LX 4.6
The fronts are next.

Dan Newman has offered to pre-assemble the front springs and shocks for a fee of $35 total.

The rears are an easy do-it-yourselfer. The fronts are too, and it's even easier with the springs and shocks pre-assembled.

Also, the height of the car is unchanged with the Sport springs, but they are somewhat firmer. I tow two different trailers with my T-Bird, and have noticed that the back doesn't drop down as much, when I have some weight in the trailers.

Hope this helps..................

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes It Does

Thank you Rolling-Thunder, Big Help. I think I will do just that...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let me get it real Clear...

So if I want to put the SC/Sport Springs on my LX I need to get the SC/Sport Shocks/Struts??? Is that correct. It makes sense to me just want to be clear....

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
FOSZ-5560-J Rear Springs for 97 Sport
E9SZ-5310-J Front Springs for 97 Sport

I have these rear springs on my T-Bird, with 95 LX rear shocks.

The front springs listed above are not yet installed on my car.

·
Registered
970 Posts
First off...we've been having the debate on struts vs. shocks for 5 years on this site. Even though the all-knowing Ford Mechanics sometimes refer to them as struts, they are not. The true deffinition of the word strut tells that there are no struts on any 89-97 MN12 vehicle. They honestly are just shocks. I personally call them struts when I'm talking to anyone about the car, because many vehicles do have struts in the front end, and many people get confused. Plus...this conversation would start again.

Hey kfentress...I say buy the Sport shocks from ford...put them in your trunk...drive down the street to the nearest honest mechanic and he'll install them with a big *** smile. I have a 1992 sport, and I just replaced the shocks last month with Tokico Blue's. The rears are nice and firm...offering a much sportier feel and better response...but the fronts blow goats. They actually feel identical to the warn out Sport shocks that were on my car before. I also put on 2" drop lowering springs...no help. They are a firmer rate, and feel great, but the front end sometimes still bounces around at highway speeds a wee bit much for me. I am also very critical and have a huge chip off my shoulder :)

There are some really nice shocks out there for your car...but you better be willing to cough it up, cause most of them are not exactly cheap. I say buy the ford units, and have "Big Bob's Auto" down the street install them. You'll save on labor, and get some really nice shocks that last near 80,000 miles and still feel better than Tokico's.

If your looking for a performance upgrade...do yourself a favor and purchase some Bilstiens...they are like butta. You will pay over two times as much as the ford units, but they will outlast your car...for real. After 100,000 miles Bilstiens have been tested to show 95% efficiency (they show 5% difference in ride quality from new), no bull. The ford units wont have 95% efficiency after 40,000 mi, i promise. But like I said...be willing to cough it up.

I've talked too much again,
-danimal

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Ok, bubble has been burst. I just thought that our fronts were true coilovers. That you could remove the shock and spring as one unit that is only attached by its ends. Oh well, I've been corrected.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Our cars do NOT have coil overs. A coil over is a shock with the spring mounted to the shock body and the end of the shaft. It is a complete singular unit. There is no attachment to the car except for the eyes on either end. Our cars do have shocks in the center of springs, but the springs are "mounted" to the body and the lower A arm.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks

I really appreciate the advice Danimal.. So the Bilstiens are the way to go huh? I do not have a problem with my car bouncing at all. I just feel every freaking bump in the road.

So should I still get new Springs the SC/Sport Springs as well?

·
Premium Member
8,239 Posts
I would say don't bother getting ford OEM parts unless you come across some used sc springs in good shape.

I would say the best and one of most expensive ways to go would be Bilsteins and Eibachs. This will drop you 1.5 inches and a very sporty ride.

I went the route of tokico blues, and tokico sport springs. The tokico blues are the exact same as tokico illumnina's set on a sport setting, the only difference is the blues are not adjustable like the illumina's. That dropped me 1.25, which is enough for me.

JH

·
Registered
970 Posts
I have a set of used SC springs for sale guys. I just put on Intrax springs, and the SC ones feel just as firm. They will really improve the ride on an LX. Pair them with those Bilstien's and you've got a killer TBird. The SC springs were stock on my 92 Sport, so they have 100,000 miles on them, but they are in perfect shape. The powdercoating is chipping off the bottom of the rear springs a little, but the spring itself is fine.

$50 + shipping.

Later,
-danimal

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Sport/SC Springs+Bilstiens=Best combination out there for the MN-12
I had Eibachs/Tokicos..they sucked..I got tired of the fairly soft rate of the dampening from the Tokicos,and the lowered crap with the Eibachs.
JL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts