TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
8,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got home from work and saw this story on the TV. At least 32 including the gunman are dead and many more are injured! :(

Joe

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Worst in U.S. history. What a shame, and we will probably never know the motive.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Of course not, but was it just for fun? I highly doubt it.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Yeah, I've been watching that..... I went to VA Tech (25 years ago), so this sort of hits close to home!!! :beek:

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Of course not, but was it just for fun? I highly doubt it.
he means that the motivation was premediated and the true reasoning for this action is only known by the scumbag.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Gun bill gets shot down by panel
HB 1572, which would have allowed handguns on college campuses, died in subcommittee.

By Greg Esposito
381-1675

A bill that would have given college students and employees the right to carry handguns on campus died with nary a shot being fired in the General Assembly.

House Bill 1572 didn't get through the House Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety. It died Monday in the subcommittee stage, the first of several hurdles bills must overcome before becoming laws.

The bill was proposed by Del. Todd Gilbert, R-Shenandoah County, on behalf of the Virginia Citizens Defense League. Gilbert was unavailable Monday and spokesman Gary Frink would not comment on the bill's defeat other than to say the issue was dead for this General Assembly session.

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

Del. Dave Nutter, R-Christiansburg, would not comment Monday because he was not part of the subcommittee that discussed the bill.

Most universities in Virginia require students and employees, other than police, to check their guns with police or campus security upon entering campus. The legislation was designed to prohibit public universities from making "rules or regulations limiting or abridging the ability of a student who possesses a valid concealed handgun permit ... from lawfully carrying a concealed handgun."

The legislation allowed for exceptions for participants in athletic events, storage of guns in residence halls and military training programs.

Last spring a Virginia Tech student was disciplined for bringing a handgun to class, despite having a concealed handgun permit. Some gun owners questioned the university's authority, while the Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police came out against the presence of guns on campus.

In June, Tech's governing board approved a violence prevention policy reiterating its ban on students or employees carrying guns and prohibiting visitors from bringing them into campus facilities.
Good thing they banned those guns on campus so something like this couldn't happen :rolleyes:

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
I won't even go into my feelings on the way the media is spinning this, Brian said it more eloquently than I could.. May the deceased rest in peace, the wounded make a quick recovery, and may God be with all those touched by this horrible event.

Worst in U.S. history. What a shame, and we will probably never know the motive.
One of the reports was saying that the gunman was in an argument with a girlfriend, shot her, then shot the RA, then left. Later on, opened fire in the other building.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
cougar_guy04 said:
One of the reports was saying that the gunman was in an argument with a girlfriend, shot her, then shot the RA, then left. Later on, opened fire in the other building.
Yea, I heard that a little later as I was heading out to class.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
My officemate's cousin was luckily in another building during the second shooting.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."
That public relations quote can be emailed back to Larry at the email address below. ;)

Larry Hincker - Associate Vice President for University Relations - [email protected]

it will be interesting to learn if any of the students or staff who were on scene have a carry permit and would have been able to intervene but were restricted from carrying on campus buy university regulations.

Texas law changed after the realization that the Luby's massacre didn't need to have been so horrific. Had those law abiding citizens not left their guns in there car to comply with restrictive Texas laws they could have intervened and cut the murder spree short.

Instead... I forget her name, but she had to cower while clutching a butter knife and watching her parents get shot when her legal firearm was uselessly sitting out in her car.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Let's pray for Mr. Hincker that he's not one of the unfortunate victims who couldn't defend themselves due to university regulations.

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
I don't even know what to say about this. RIP for all involved.

We had a similiar (albeit vastly smaller) shooting at the UA campus a couple years ago, in one of the med school lecture halls. I dont think anyone was killed. But a bartender I knew on campus (also a student), carried his firearm in his bag (CC permit, but again, not legal on campus) to class everyday after that... regulations be damned. I'm not one to blatantly defy laws for the hell of it, but I'd rather be "disciplined" than gunned down.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I just emailed the following to Mr. Hincker.

Dear Mr. Hincker,

I pray for you that your not one of the unfortunate victims who were unable to defend themselves in today's shooting spree. Due to the university's regulations which restrict staff and students from carrying legally permitted firearms those with carry permits were completely defenseless against this onslaught that has taken so many lives.

I take this moment to remind you of your recent public relations comment regarding House Bill 1572 (Allowing legal carry on campus) being killed. You stated "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

Let me take this moment to remind you. There is a world of difference between staff and students feeling safe and them actually being safe. It will be interesting to learn in the weeks to come if any of those people on scene were in fact gun carry permit holders who left their firearms behind to comply with university regulations. I hope not because that would be extremely sad to learn. Have we learned nothing since the 1991 Luby's restaurant massacre?

Sincerely,

xxx

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

WHY? Why does this senseless stuff happen.

One more a****le loose with a weapon.

·
Registered
965 Posts
No doubt a very tragic series of events. My thoughts go out to those who are involved.

They are saying its the worst school shooting in our history... It may be, but it pales in comparison to the 1927 Bath Township school massacre in MN. 45 killed and 58 injured.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts