TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I’m looking for sole ideas on a new short block for the Tbird. It’s a 4.6 car, so far I’m thinking of using the boss block but haven’t got much farther than that. So my question is what the hell else should I use.

Stock stroke or stroker?
Crank?
Rods?
Pistons?

The current set up has trick flow 44cc heads and I run about 22lbs I’d boost through it. I’d like the new setup to be good for around 950 to the tire Incase I decide to spray a little nitrous to help it out a bit.

So.... Go

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,296 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something like this would be a nice centerpiece for a build:

MANLEY / MMR 4340 Forged 4.6 - 5.0 Stroker crankshafts (3.800) [400198] - $999.99 : Modular Motorsports, Home of the Worlds Fastest Modular Engines

I started to link to a 5.4l aluminum shortblock, but I was afraid KDanner would pop out of my browser and kick my ass. :)

That’s a nice looking crank!

And yea I’m good on the 5.4 I’d rather not buy a new blower or dick with adapter plates.

Trying to do this on the cheap lol <10k

·
Super Moderator
10,296 Posts
It's really hard to find a forged crank these days for less than a grand. :(

MMR has some nice rotating assemblies; they have a 4.75l setup I seriously considered.

On the lower end of cost, A lot of success here has been had with JY lower ends, big cams, and nitrous. :D

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea the Used cobra cranks these days are expensive.

Lethal has the big eagle stock stroke crank for around 800. If you use it on a 2v block it requires a little clearancing though.

I’m just trying to make the decision on stroke, is it worth the extra strain? I don’t put many miles on the car but the ones I do put are rather hard.

But anyway I think I’ll build one more motor before I junk the ole girl. I would like to get it down in the 9’s before I throw in the towel.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
My opinion, if you are running boost, I would not stroke the engine. I am more familiar with 2JZ motors, and the highest HP applications are usually 3.0's, not 3.4 strokers. It's about RPM and head flow. Strokers limit the max RPM with their less than ideal rod to stroke ratios.

A stroker is good to use as a street motor with the extra torque down low, and for breaking drivetrain parts.

I believe RobertP made his 9 second passes on a stock stroke. You should have him build you a motor.

Al

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would go Coyote crank and rods and DSS pistons. You will of course need to have the crank worked over to accept a modular dampener and oil pump and a spacer for the flywheel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts