TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking to see who has done this in the driveway and how big of a headache it was. I have a set of JBA's on the way that I scooped up for a steal on eBay. However in looking down into the engine bay, and even from under the car, there doesn't look to be ANY room! If you could do it again, would you pay someone else to do it? Just tossing the idea out there. Thanks in advance for any helpful insight! :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's likely going to happen. It doesn't look like I want to tangle with the install. What's so bad about them if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had mine installed years ago at a muffler shop for $150. I had a cracked manifold with a broken stud on it and decided to buy these. This was also before the price of Kooks sky rocketed and was pretty close in price. I also didn't think the Kooks would be emissions legal but I wish I had gotten them now for the better performance gains. I haven't had any issues with the JBA headers at all but after installed I had a better high rpm pull. Could have just been that I had a bad exhaust leak in the first place.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,368 Posts
The JBA shorties have been seen to flow less than stock manifolds.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
The JBA shorties have been seen to flow less than stock manifolds.
I've always wondered why that is. The tubing itself isn't terribly small, and the bends aren't bad. Must be the difference in primary lengths...

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
The fact that they gain nothing and are prone to cracking after a couple years makes me think ported stock manifolds are far superior. If you want headers do kooks, if they are too expensive do ported manifolds.
Alan

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
Damn

And to think I've been running those JBA shorties all these years. Guess whenever I get another motor in my car I'll have to do a set of kooks to see how they do. Yeah, they are prone to crack as mine had to be welded twice.

I'm always behind the curve. But I've always made do with what I had.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Ive been running my JBAs for over 2yrs with no issues. I as well dont see how they wouldnt flow.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow seems like there are mixed reviews on these. Thank you for the info. Can anyone clear up how terrible they are to install?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
it's about like doing a replacement of stock manifolds difficulty is a matter of opinion but it's about a 6 hr job. Breaking bolts will change things.....fast.
Alan

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
The fact that they gain nothing and are prone to cracking after a couple years makes me think ported stock manifolds are far superior. If you want headers do kooks, if they are too expensive do ported manifolds.
Alan
I agree that the cracking issue leaves a lot to be desired, but in terms of output potential on a serious engine, I don't see why they would be so bad. Granted you won't get scavenging at typical RPMs with such short primaries, but I can't see them actually flowing any worse that stockers, or even ported stockers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone for the feedback!

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I agree that the cracking issue leaves a lot to be desired, but in terms of output potential on a serious engine, I don't see why they would be so bad. Granted you won't get scavenging at typical RPMs with such short primaries, but I can't see them actually flowing any worse that stockers, or even ported stockers.

Unless something changed between dyno runs the one dyno test I saw using them showed actual losses, all in all they aren't worth purchasing or even installing for performance purposes or reliability. It sucks to buy kooks but they are the only real answer for us. I have a company willing to produce less expensive headers but the initial investment is a bit steep.
Alan

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
Well I can't say since I have no dyno numbers between the changes to verify. But let it be known whatever numbers mine have put up either dyno or on the track has been with JBA's on it. I'm only hoping at some point to have kooks on something else to see how much they really help.

I do expect the kooks would be significantly better especially at higher RPMS!! Especially for the money.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Anybody know of a company that ports exhaust manifolds for our cars?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again everyone!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts