TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a trans shop around the corner from my house that has a 98 Mark VIII for sale. I talked to the guy, and he said they just rebuilt the trans, and it has a leak in the front airbag system so the nose drops to the ground overnight. Also some of the paint on the front bumper is a little messed up. The car is pearl white with grey interior. Body is pretty nice except for the front bumper cover, interior is perfect. 128K miles, they are asking $2800 for it. I'm debating whether I want it or not. What do people think?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
YES!!! $2800 for a clean, good running Gen II is a very good deal!! And 128K is nothing for miles!

Check the blend door to see if you have heat/AC. The air ride can get expensive or just swap it to a MN12 suspension.

Just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the air ride, could I replace the front bags with springs, but leave the rear as still an air ride? Or is it an all-or-nothing kind of deal?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
That might be a little tough. You could probably fab up something that presurizes the rear bags and then seals them but by the time you do that, you could have probably converted over to the MN12 stuff.

Used air bags aren't "too expensive" on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-98-Mark-VIII-LSC-Front-Airbags-LH-and-RH-Struts-AIR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33590QQihZ023QQitemZ360042915767QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

You could probably scrounge the MN12 stuff over a while and get good prices. The issue with the draining air bag is that it usually ends up ruining the compressor and/or dryer because it makes them constantly work to keep the bag filled.

Last Mrk said:
I bet you could get your answer HERE
Or that! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I looked long and hard at a Mark VIII when I was in the market for a car. I just got scared off from the air ride, its reputation for having electrical gremlins, the headlights and in Michigan, your registration gets taxed as if its a $45,000 car. I would have loved to tune up a Mark VIII to get over 300HP, but again, I wanted something more simple to work on.

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, I could hit up a junkyard that I know has 2 SCs, and have MN12 stuff swapped onto it within 24 hours of buying the car. I just would prefer to keep the air ride if I could. Plus the spring perches for the rear are kind of expensive, which means I might take the LCAs for my cougar and put the cast iron ones on the mark if I convert to springs. Or there's always the option of run it like it is until the compressor dies, and then convert to springs. The biggest reason I'm hesitant is that I would have to borrow the money to buy it, and up to date, I have always bought all my cars outright, and I don't like the idea of a car loan. I think I'll see if I can borrow the money from my grandfather or something.

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked long and hard at a Mark VIII when I was in the market for a car. I just got scared off from the air ride, its reputation for having electrical gremlins, the headlights and in Michigan, your registration gets taxed as if its a $45,000 car. I would have loved to tune up a Mark VIII to get over 300HP, but again, I wanted something more simple to work on.
I'm an ASE master certified auto tech. Air ride and electrical gremlins don't scare me one bit. Plus the cougars and the firebird are the toys to make fast. This would just be a nice daily driver to replace my 285K mile crown vic. The only question is can I justify almost $3000 for something I really don't need, especially when I already have 4 cars.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
You could probably buy it, do a lil TLC to it, sell it for a good deal to someone else and still make a lil money.

If I had the money and room for it - I'd do it :D

-Melon

·
Registered
844 Posts
I might have a front air shock for a Mark, from my dad's (now gone) '97.

·
Banned
377 Posts
correct me if im wrong, but the mark has the 4.6 DOHC right?...and what, mabe 40 hp over my birds 4.6 SOHC?...just curious, a lady co-worker has one and ive been bugging her to let me drive it...hehe.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I had thought about a a Mark VIII LSC that was just a little more than I paid for the '97 Cougar I bought two weeks ago but I couldn't get past the Continental style rear . I wasn't fond of the mono chromatic paint either.

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chris, if I don't get the mark, there is a 92 5.0 cougar that is for sale for $700, so I would probably be going for that. Not that I really need ANOTHER cougar.

Strung, the 4.6DOHC is rated at 280hp, however I don't think the torque is any higher than the SOHC motor. I've driven the older style marks before, and they aren't that impressive in terms of acceleration. My bone stock 94 with 200K miles, a tune, and 5-speed swap was certainly faster than the 93 mark 8 I thought about buying a couple years ago. Maybe the gen 2's are better, I don't know.

I looked at the car today and heard it start up and run. No plates, so I couldn't take it for a test drive, but everything looks solid on the car, including the front end. The AC blend door works. The front bags inflate right up, but then within a couple hours, the nose is back on the ground, so the air ride will have to be taken care of pretty quickly. The paint on the front bumper and grille is a little messed up, but nothing that would bother me too much, and if it did, I could fix it easily enough. Interior is perfect. Trunk is perfect. Has a 6CD changer in the trunk. Looks like the only option its missing is the sunroof. I'm going to talk to my grandfather tomorrow and see how he feels about loaning me a couple grand. If that goes well, it looks like I'll be buying the car.

·
Registered
900 Posts
The base model is rated at 280 for hp and tq, LSC's are 290 for both. I've gone 14.7 in my stock 98 LSC with only removed silencer and wider and stickier street tires (255/40r17 bfg kdw-2). Just for reference. My Tbird was a 3.8 so I can't really compare the two.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts