TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found a nice 93 Lincoln MKVIII today that I really REALLY want for a second car because
the T-bird only goes out on weekends and nice weather but ..............

I worry that I won't be able to keep my hands off it and you know how it all starts
............cat back ........chip.........lower it..........mags.........ect ect.

I don't know what to do. I don't need 2 project cars but my "beater" is dying.

I should add that it's a bit more of car than I wanted especially for a second car

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
get it :)

·
Registered
615 Posts
I wouldnt get it , 93 is the first 4R70W, which is just as much as a piece of junk that the 94-95 tbirds have, plus my 2 valve has two car lenghts on my buddies 93 Mark:D

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Ashish said:
I wouldnt get it , 93 is the first 4R70W, which is just as much as a piece of junk that the 94-95 tbirds have, plus my 2 valve has two car lenghts on my buddies 93 Mark:D
I would suspect if the car has alot of miles the transmission has been modified by now. If not you can always do it later
There is something wrong with your buddies markVIII unless you have done some serious mods to the "2 valve".
My buddies 94(before he wrecked it) absolutely kicked my "2 valve" butt after about 30mph.

The most important thing to me about buying an older markVIII is making sure the body is in good condition everything else will probably get adjusted around anyway.
If the "toys" inside don't work they can cost a fortune to fix.
Alan

·
Registered
615 Posts
The most important thing to me about buying an older markVIII is making sure the body is in good condition everything else will probably get adjusted around anyway. If the "toys" inside don't work they can cost a fortune to fix.
agreed

it is very difficult to find a clean gen 1 mark.

Nothing was wrong with the mark. As of two days ago his OWC is gone, so thats a bummer. The mark can be a nasty car if it wasn't so undergeared. And also I would take a 2v over a 4v anyday of the week............unless its a 03+ cobra

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Ashish said:
And also I would take a 2v over a 4v any day of the week............unless its a 03+ cobra
Not to start a Mark vs. MN-12 flaming war, but are you high?!? :leftright :D

Stock Gen I's are consistently in the low15's, high 14's. What are stock SOHC MN-12's running? :D OK, I’ll stop since this discussion can go on forever. :thumbsup:

Anyway, here's my take. I have my 94 T'Bird that is my daily driver, but what I also play around with, i.e. modify. My Gen II LSC is my, don't modify (if possible), drive on trips, vacations, dates (if I could ever get any... another story... :leftright ), and keep it pretty much original.

If I were going to do it again, knowing what I know now about the two platforms this is the route I would go:

Use the MN-12 (slightly modified) as a daily driver since the value just isn’t there and it’s a great sleeper. Use a Gen I Mark VIII as a platform for a supercharged DOHC installation. Take the air ride off the Mark VIII since it’s one of the major issues with the Marks, and then do all the normal upgrades to the drivetrain/transmission, etc.. You end up with two sleepers that both have great reliability, drivability, and “fun factor”. :thumbsup:

Just my opinions/observations. :D

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
Use the MN-12 (slightly modified) as a daily driver since the value just isn’t there and it’s a great sleeper. Use a Gen I Mark VIII as a platform for a supercharged DOHC installation. Take the air ride off the Mark VIII since it’s one of the major issues with the Marks, and then do all the normal upgrades to the drivetrain/transmission, etc.. You end up with two sleepers that both have great reliability, drivability, and “fun factor”. :thumbsup:
and its a lincoln. Some of us buy gen2 marks that are slower ....its a shame really

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Fubarian said:
and its a lincoln. Some of us buy gen2 marks that are slower ....its a shame really
:rofl: :uppoint: :uppoint: :rofl:

Why did I know you'd have a comment....:leftright :D

p.s. And yes, I checked yesterday... I still have my Cobra intake. :tongue:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I will have to have another look at it tonight.

·
Registered
615 Posts
LOL no I am not high, and I agree this discussion can go on forever. Gen 1 yes it might be low 15sec car , but give me a break its got 280hp and low 15 blows for that much power. I also like my bird a lot better, because i have almost the same aftermarket as a stang. Where a mark is not the same as a cobra and requires a lot more custom work, thus a lot more $$$$. I agree when it comes in the long run and with enough money the 4v will always be faster, but as of right now my buddies mark is seein my tail, and there is nothing custom about my mods.

Ill stop while I am a head, looks like there a lot more pro votes for the Markie .:)

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
ya... thats thanks to the highway 3.07 rear gear hehehhe

·
Registered
615 Posts
:zwthstpd:

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
black beauties :D ...bird wouldn't look right in that picture

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How does the price for parts compare to to a T-bird ?
Will my old 4R70W from my 97 T-bird fit in the Mk VII ?

I'm not sure if it has the factory tranny in it or not.

Thanks

·
Registered
615 Posts
yes a 4r70w from a bird will fit in any mark.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got it today and man is it super clean. It drives very nice but it could use some better
rear gears................must resist the urge to mod..................MUST

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Welcome to the "Dual Ownership" club!!! :thumbsup:

You'll love the Lincoln!!!!

Good luck at not modding it!!!! :leftright

If you need little things like trim panels, etc, check out eBay first. Those items usually go for a lot less than new. (Except outside mirrors.... usually pull in OEM prices).

Enjoy!!! :thumbsup:

Photo's... :D

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
I think I might be joining the dual club also... if I don't get a notchback.... :rolleyes: when I sell the exploder it a notch or an SC...

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do love and the leather is a real treat also.
It's not as fast as my T-bird but it needs rear gears and a 6-speed..............hmmmm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts