TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever heard of a 4.00 rear end? I’m looking at buying a 96 t bird Allen supercharged and guy is telling me the rear end tag says 4.00 and he and a bunch of gear heads are baffled. It’s a 8.8 rear end, car is really clean and can get it for $3500.

Car has a 97 Crown Vic motor and trans in it. It’s a 4.6 v8. I can’t figure out how to upload a video but from what he’s sent me car runs really good. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
That's a nice looking Bird. If you are thinking to modify one, this might be the cheapest way. Back in the day, the kit to put an Allen was $4500. My first MN12 I put an Allen in it. I found out pretty quick that the Allen kit was limited with the M90. The best thing I did was to add a PI motor with the Allen and put a nice exhaust system. On drag radials & 3.27 gears it ran the 1/8 mile in 8.5 seconds at 80mph.
Read ya later, Nick

·
Registered
482 Posts
$3500 is worth a gamble after inspection and test drive, If you can't inspect try to figure out how much rust it might have. Maybe find out how long it's been where they salt the roads.

Mins is a 1992 and the seats may not make it to year 30 in my desert climate.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd buy it.. Wished Id waited and saved up.. I'll have $10,000+ in my car to get it that nice.. I gave $500 for mine tho..

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's a nice looking Bird. If you are thinking to modify one, this might be the cheapest way. Back in the day, the kit to put an Allen was $4500. My first MN12 I put an Allen in it. I found out pretty quick that the Allen kit was limited with the M90. The best thing I did was to add a PI motor with the Allen and put a nice exhaust system. On drag radials & 3.27 gears it ran the 1/8 mile in 8.5 seconds at 80mph.
Read ya later, Nick
Never heard of that kind of rear before though. Guy has been straight forward. Long of the short, I posted an earlier thread in 2016. I tracked down my first car which was a burgundy ford thunderbird.....but it had been wrecked. I fixed the ball joint and front brakes on it and have bought a ton of parts for it. It'll cost me way more than $3500.00 to get it like I want it and this car here just has a little clear coat peeling.

I really would love to fix up my "first car" but for what's done to this one, really wouldn't make sense.

He said no rust. He had a time with the car. He bought it from a guy who claimed it had a jasper transmission in it, well it did but according to the research of the current owner he said it came out of a Ford Windstar. Transmission went out like a week after he bought it.

This guy put in a 97 113,000 mile motor and trans out of a Police Crown Victoria and put the supercharger on it.

My car I still have which will cost a lot more to get to the $3500 car I’m looking at now. It’s a 96 but previous owner put a 94/95 front end on it. Already got $1200 in this car

Anyone know if this is the 6 psi or 9 psi kit by lookinh at this pic?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,273 Posts
Those are 19lb injectors; if that car has been run with that blower, it's been running very lean on top end.

Dorman sells the door hinge kit you need for the Red one, that shovel will scratch the paint eventually.

If you think $1200 is a serious investment, you picked the wrong money pit. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How can you tell about running lean? The guy said it probably does need a good tune. He's only put about 2,000 miles on the car since the swap.

So on the red one, its actually the "door bolt" from the ball joint dropping and it wrecking, the door bolt broke away from the frame metal of the car. Door hinges are fine. It will have to be repainted anyway. I know it looks good at a distance but really is a cheap paint job.

On the red one, it's special to me because it was my first car. I'm 34 now. I got that car when I was 15. Tracked it down 2 years ago after being without it for 14 years. I'm just saying the Green one is ready to go and way ahead of the red one. However, I can still keep the red one and work on it as I have fun in the green one.

·
Super Moderator
16,732 Posts
#19 injectors can’t support the added airflow from the blower, it can be tuned to run ok with them at light throttle cruising but at WOT they’ll be maxed out and the A/F will be dangerously lean, burn holes in every piston and roast exhaust valves lean

The pulley determines the boost from it, so if it’s a 6psi you can get a smaller pulley and up it to 9psi. Neither pic has a shot of the pulley visible for us to tell

·
Super Moderator
10,273 Posts
From a quick search, it needs 30# injectors; that's what came with the kit.

If it's never been tuned, I can't imagine it runs very well off idle.

If it even idles... at 6psi, it's only going to get ~2/3 the amount of fuel it needs.

Hopefully, the loud knocking sound would let you not burn the pistons, but it won't make that noise for long, lol.

As XR7-4.6 said, Holes all around.

·
Super Moderator
11,852 Posts
Post your video to a YouTube account and link it here.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Injectors AND a good tune.

The car looks vaguely familiar to me, I remember someone here painted their Allen cover green like that.
Actually the guy I'm buying it from painted it green. Be cool to know if someone on here actually owned this car so I'd know what was done to it.

I'll add the video.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
From a quick search, it needs 30# injectors; that's what came with the kit.

If it's never been tuned, I can't imagine it runs very well off idle.

If it even idles... at 6psi, it's only going to get ~2/3 the amount of fuel it needs.

Hopefully, the loud knocking sound would let you not burn the pistons, but it won't make that noise for long, lol.

As XR7-4.6 said, Holes all around.

Ok I found a pdf link which I’ll post here: http://jimroal.com/Allen/AllenBrochures.pdf

The brochure says the Thunderbird Kit doesn’t come with #30 injectors nor does it say it needs it. BUT it does come with a fuel pressure regulator and high flow fuel pump.

Now kits for the mustangs, crown Vic etc say they come with #30 lb injectors.

I just want to make sure I put the right thing in there....oh and that’s at 6 psi. 9 psi requires the #30.

Please help me figure this out y’all lol

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,273 Posts
I can't believe it's CARB legal for CA; I didn't think you could do that. :)

:zdunno:

I went to 24lb injectors on my PI swap, just because it might barely go lean at wot, I don't like to take those kind of chances.

I've heard a dropped valve in one of these, I do not want to hear a Holy Piston. :)

Also, Isn't an M90 what's on the SC?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts