TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
Joined
·
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can get these cams for $100 shipped from a guy on modular depot. they are out of a 99 gt that had the motor hydrolocked. i'm just wondering if there could be any damage to the cams from hydrolocking the motor. also, one cam has a little rust on it and i was wondering if thats a big deal. here's the pics he sent me. let me know what i should do.

drivers side:



passenger side:




Frank
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,178 Posts
As long as they arent cracked/damaged, I wouldnt worry about the surface rust. Make sure you clean the lobes up really nice and lube them with some moly lube when you install. The oil will keep the rust from becoming a problem I think.
 

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
Joined
·
11,719 Posts
I wouldn't. The cam lobes need to be practically PERFECT or they'll cause problems later. not worth the hassle up cleaning it up, and still possibly having problems later.

You can get them for ~$200 from Dan, brand new!
 

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
Joined
·
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GreenBird said:
I wouldn't. The cam lobes need to be practically PERFECT or they'll cause problems later. not worth the hassle up cleaning it up, and still possibly having problems later.

You can get them for ~$200 from Dan, brand new!
i know i can get them new for $200 but if i can get them for $100 why pay full price. thats why i was asking if they were worth buying and you answered my question. thanks.

Frank
 

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
Joined
·
3,232 Posts
Frank,those cams are fine.Polish up that rusty spot with a piece of scotch-brite,and it'll work perfect,with no failures later on.
The cam lobes are hardened pretty deep,and most regrinds never get under the hardening process,so a slight polishing up with not even come close.
JL
 

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
Joined
·
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Johnny Langton said:
Frank,those cams are fine.Polish up that rusty spot with a piece of scotch-brite,and it'll work perfect,with no failures later on.
The cam lobes are hardened pretty deep,and most regrinds never get under the hardening process,so a slight polishing up with not even come close.
JL
ok thanks alot JL, i shoulda just came and asked you in the first place.

Frank
 

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
Joined
·
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
one more question. are these cams worth $100 or should i try to get them cheaper?

Frank
 

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
Joined
·
3,232 Posts
fdawg97lx said:
one more question. are these cams worth $100 or should i try to get them cheaper?

Frank
That's a good price man..
JL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
627 Posts
fdawg97lx said:
one more question. are these cams worth $100 or should i try to get them cheaper?

Frank
Definitely good price. I shopped for several weeks and got mine for $125 shipped. Some day I'll swap heads and install them.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top