TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m paused right now, trying to figure out how to go forward. My front cover has a crack in it. I'll be replacing it within a few weeks. (It's been leaking for several months, what's a few more weeks right? Got my finger crossed.)

When I have my cover off, be about at 1/3 the effort for changing the heads. Of course a $200 fix turns into a $2.5-$3k mod rather fast. I'm also looking at having to change MAF & injectors, don't know about fuel pump.

Other than cost, my dilemma is taking a chance on my stock 81,000mi shortblock with ported heads and supercharger on top? Just having the s/c on there now involves a risk. But should a blown engine take out stock heads, I'm only looking at about $2k for a replacement engine. It'd hurt more to possibly loose a $1k head and engine.

My ultimate goal still has the Eaton on top. I like the low and mid range power I have now, just looking to take the cork out of the top end. My car is great off the line, but a disappointment to wind up. Also plan to keep this a reliable daily driver.

I'm interested in input from some of you experienced modders here. Should I hold off until I can put together a forged block and ported heads? Would having the additional upper rpm torque be a bit risky on a stock botom end?

John

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
JL and Goldbird are probably the best people to chime in on this thread. You may want to try and PM them.

What I can tell you is from spending some time on the MD, there are lots of guys over there running 11 and 12 second quarters on stock short blocks. KenB ran 11.72 on his stock lower with ported heads, cams and SVO intake. Those guys are N/A though.

I know many here believe that at 81K your engine is just getting broken in. Good luck with the decision!:D

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
John...you have a PM..
JL

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
You've got another PM..

-mike

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to just fix my oil leak for now. But, I'm putting together plans to build a forged engine (with ported heads).

There is just too much money involved in the rather high risk of engine failure. I'd rather spend it smartly.

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts