TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
poll

i really feel as though i would be making a mistake if i go trough this. and yall might be pi$$ed at me for even bringing it up but forgive me.
well i been having some trouble with my car in the past and made me feel as though i should look into another.
when i first got the car i thought this car gonna give me a lot of trouble (1 bieng it's a ford and in the past when my mom owned a few they were hell, but this car rarely gave me trouble my previous car chevy beretta gt gave me more trouble than this one did) to make a long story short one of my friends is selling an 1989 honda accord lx.
i already know what i'm gonna lose that power.
so what should i do ?:2huh: :2huh: :2huh: :confused: :confused: :leftright :( :( :bangwall:

·
TCCoA Bachelor Club Pres.
1,267 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :xpcry: :xpcry: :xpcry: :xpcry: :xpcry: :xpcry: :xpcry: :xpcry:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
well if you really insist on getting the accord... my friend has one... he runs 18s+ in the 1/4... and thats with the coveted dohc engine that can be highly modded.... so he says... My suggestion is if you want a clunker to drive to work or to use as a stunt mobile... go ahead and spend 200$ if not keep what you have. Just my suggestion.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I personally like accords.. Nice styling. As long as it doesnt have a wing, extreme ground effects or a fart cannon, i see nothing wrong w/ it. Do you live where winter driving is a problem? Within 6 months of having my bird, i wanted to get rid of it ($600 in problems) for a stock civic Si. If speed isnt all what you want, then its up to you.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well yes but the cougar rarely has any problem as for driving in the snow. and this accord has the 12 valve engine (non vtec). to me that cat can handle what i give her i had driven a '90 corolla 1.5 and i was kinda impressed but compared to mine's the cat seemed better.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Why are you even thinking about this? trying to save $$$ on gas?

93tbird302 said:
I don't think this is general tech
I agree.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hah, yes! That was my first car, it's actually where I started using the name 89lx. 2.0 Carbed... 98 horse... :headbang: One thing you have to remember about cars that make under 100 hp is that while the 5-speeds are still fun to zip around in, the automatics are ****ing *AGONY* to drive. I say as long as it's a manual, go for it. Beat the hell outta that little ****er.. It'll take it. Plus, flip-up headlights are pimp. ;)

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
Yeah, Hondas for the most part are pretty weak cars. Unless you're going for gas mileage don't bother. MN12's will take twice the pounding. I've had great luck with this platform. Where did you get a crazy idea to buy a Jap car???

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Put the crack pipe down now!!!

·
Only you can prevent modular fires
1,446 Posts
:leftright Yeah they look real nice in those usual colors I.E brown, silver, dark marroon, always trimed with rust on the rear quater. I hate em very ugly and at least the 89-97s look slightly more modern than a square honda.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i went for a "test drive" drove like i would drive the cougar.
it's like driving the cougar but quieter plus for a small 4cyl. it handle's what i give it.
it was like 80*f out + my driving is like a torture.
i though it was going to be like a 95 240sx auto or chevy lumina. but this was different.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I've got an 89 Accord SEI that is my daily beater until I finish up the mods on my 90 SC. It gets 400+ miles per tank and has 152K miles on it. I have driven the piss out of it, and it still starts every morning for me.

One thing I will give Honda's.......for a 4 banger, they build one hell of an engine. they are like the timex watches of the auto world......

"Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'"

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
joshbea6 said:
I've got an 89 Accord SEI

"Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'"
Control arms what?? hehehehehe

·
Registered
238 Posts
actually that is a very serviceable platform, however they require routine maintance. Valve adjustment timeing belts water pumps oil leaks ect ect. I would not recomend an automatic bc the tranny is underbuilt for the 80 hp engine. If you think it is acceptable for you then go ahead. I would not trade in my 5 star crash rating cougar for a honda. I would also bet big if there was an accident honda vs mn12 I know who will come out better! 4000 vs 2800 ???????

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Just my .02:

When I'm looking at buying a car, I make a list of common things that might fail. Like Alternator, Starter, Fuel Pump, A/C system, Radiator, etc. Then I go to the local parts store and see what things like that would cost.

I think you'll find that the Honda repair bills will be very high vs. the MN12.

And keep in mind that the Honda is 14 years old so that stuff is going to fail.

If a car isn't killing you with repair bill, why get rid of it?

But again, that's just my opinion. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Fubarian......

Just cause I had to change out the driver's side half shafts cause the CV boot broke......:D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts