TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard plenty of good things bout it, but I haven't heard for sure wether it was a good idea to use it on a high mileage engine. I mean yeah I know its supposed to clean it out and all, but you know the old saying "if it's not broke don't fix it." Its a '95 Tbird 4.6L with 154K on it. never used any cleaner throught it, and I've had it since 44K. Used plenty of fuel injector cleaner and Slick 50 every 15K to 20K. Another part that worries me is I have this clicking type noise, that a mechanic said was a wrist pin. And today I noticed 3 times that I spit out some blueish colored smoke after taking off from some stop lights. But it only did it those 3 times, I didn't notice it at any of the other stoplights. Thanks for your opinions!!!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If you're not having detonation problems, then I think I might not run cleaner
through that high a milage engine..if I were to do so, however, I would use
the foam carbon cleaner that you can buy from Ford Parts....... I would
consider a cleaning cycle with Auto-RX, as it tends to melt carbon
deposits instead of dislodging them, as can happen with the harsher
solvent based cleaner additives.

With that much mileage on a '95 there is certainly a possibility that your valve
guides are worn, hence the smoke. You might try a slighly higher viscosity
oil at this point.....it won't hurt anything........one of the "High Milage" dino
formulations....or if you want to go high end and maximize lubrication go
with a syn....like 10-30W or 10-40W...at least in the summer. Royal Purple
tends to run slightly heavier in its stated viscosity range than some
of the other syns. If you experience any seepage/leakage with a syn oil
you can always switch back to a dino base.

If you like to read, check out the Forums on this site:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

and don't waste your money on additives......especially Slick 50.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So where would I get that foam carbon cleaner? The local dealership? And what about auto-rx, is it a shop or a cleaner? Sorry just don't think I've ever heard of it. Thanks I''m open to any and all suggestions.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Here's the link for Auto-RX:

http://www.auto-rx.com/

You can buy it only on the web or by mail.
It's the only oil "additive" of any kind
generally recommended on the other
link I posted.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already had bought one can of Seafoam yesterday and was going to buy another can today becuase I realized I needed 2. So should I just return it or use it in another car? Or could I put it in the gas? Like my dad has a 93 dakota magnum V6, with 200K on it would you recomend using it on that? Sorry just not too sure with the high mileage. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
There's no clear right or wrong answer....if you already have one can
and plan to add it to the fuel tank.....I suppose getting a second and
using it in your car's fuel probably poses less risk of carbon chunks
breaking loose than products you spray though your intake....but I've
never used Seafoam so I don't want to give unfounded adivice.

All I can tell you is that if I were to perform carbon cleaning on my high mileage
car, I'd use something like Auto-RX as the product's users have been quite
positive about its effectiveness.......(See the first link I posted in this thread).
I have used the product in my engine, as have a few others on this site, and
it seemed everybody was pleased with the results, including myself.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Unfortunately, it's certainly not cheap stuff......howver it seems that
some of the more "wishful thinking" styled calims for the product may
actually have demonstrated some validity. I hesitate to say which ones as
I'm not trying to "sell" the product.

All I can (personally) say for sure is, that it does seem to do a good job
of cleaning, and that some of its positive side benefits have appeared for
some users...:O)

I really wouldn't push this, but: there seeems to be a small
outside chance that with that cleaning and the use of a slightly
heavier oil (peferably a syn)....you just might experience a
lessening of that tick you're currently experiencing....but I definitely
don't want to create unrealistic hopes. Snake oil salesmen are
not welcome on this site......:eek:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just switched to 10W-30 at my last oil change, but it was just Penzoil. Should I go with 10W-40, or just 10W-30? I'll splurge on a synthetic. High mileage synth, or any syn? Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I think I'd try a 10-30W syn and see what happens with respect to your smoke
problem...use the dino for the cleaning cycle...I'm not sure if anyone is marketing
a "High Mileage" version of a syn......use whichever brand you are comfortable
with, but make sure it's a 100% syn and not a blend, for maximum benefit.
Mobil 1 is popular on both sites.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One more ? bout the oil. I read somewhere, on here I think, bout how it's not good to put synthetic in an engine with that many miles that has been running non-synthetic its entire life. All I remember was something bout the synthetic hurting the seals or gaskets something like that. Thanks much Mager!!!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
that's no longer a concern........both because of oil reformulation and newer bearing seal materials.......

But, per my earlier post....if you do happen to experience any leakage/seepage
you can go back to dino with no harm done......but use the Auto-RX first to help
eliminate any possibility, however small, of the better cleaning elements in the
syn oil loosening up any of the carbon.......pretty much an old wives tale....but,
as with all such tales, it might have a grain of truth in it......

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ugh, I think I'm gonna kill my old man. I told him I was going to run some seafoam through my car, but I only bought one can and I needed two. So Saturday he picked up another can on his way home from work and didn't tell me. And after I got home from work Saturday night he went and ran it through, while I was in the shower just before game 6 of the World Series. I went to go watch the game with him, and he proceeded to tell me that he ran it through. My car was still running, smoking the white smoke, carbon I'm assuming, for about 5 minutes. Then I went out there and took it for a drive and it smoked the whole time. After about another 10 minutes of driving it finally quit smoking. Ran fine, still had that clicking noise, but other than that was normal. Was gonna post earlier but was busy. But today my check engine light came on. I'm goin to autozone tommorow either before work or between jobs, to get codes read. I am guessing its gonna be another PO174 Bank 2 lean, just like I had right about two weeks ago. I changed the O2 sensor and hadn't came on yet. I'll update in a new post once I get it read. Hope this wasn't caused by the Seafoam or I'm going to jail for killing my dad, lol. Guess he was just trying to be nice for some very odd reason. Thanks and sorry for long post!!!

·
Registered
526 Posts
I would imagine your blue smoke after stopping at a stop sign is worn or brittle valve stem seals, not worn valve guides.

My 95 Cougar 4.6 had about 165K on it when I tore it down for rebuild. The valve guide clearances were within factory specs, but I had the blue smoke thing after a pause at a stop sign.

I've had this car since 73K miles and it has been well maintained, just as most of us who would frequent this board would take care of thier vehicle, so I would imagine your valve guides are good, but engines do vary from car to car.

I'd try some oil forumulated for high mileage engines. I've heard more good comments than bad about Valvoline Maxlife, and I use it in my 150K Tbird. I haven't noticed any improvement, but I've heard others say that they believe it helped smoking due to valve stem seals in thier car.

Just my 2 cents!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts