TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in an accident in my '95 V8 Cougar about a week ago in which I ran under the bumper of a '99 CRV. There was no major structrual damage to either vehicle and both were drivable after the incident. I believe I got the worst of it damage wise, with a body shop estimate of about $3K. The hood and driver's side front fender were crumpled, headlights smashed & shoved and the bumper cover was punctured. I put 52K on the car and paid about $3200 for it, which beats my first cost goal of $0.10/mile, repair costs included. It's a very nice car, having been slightly customized and well maintained when I bought it. I love driving it, I get a great high out of it.

However, it is not the most fuel efficient car on the road. I have been averaging about 22 mpg in town with it and about 25 or so on the highway when I don't push it too hard. I have had some problems with the steering rack in the past, and don't know when or if a problem will arise again. I really love this car, and I feel like I the guy with the two spirits on his shoulders urging him one way or the other. I have all the information from the insurance company so I am clear there. The car has life left in her and I still have plans for her. I just wish I could make up my mind.

Any thoughts?

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Had my front end wrecked and rebuilt it. Many others have too.

·
Registered
613 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the hood had a bunch of small paint chips, some of which I had poorly touched up with the wrong color paint and some I did not. I took a look in a junkyard and found a hood and fender that look to be undamaged. Wrong color, though. And a bumper cover with a chip or two in it but otherwise nice. That should take a bit off the repair bill if the body shop will accept them.

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
Better, try to get the cash in YOUR pocket, and do the swapping yourself, then get the body shop to paint it.

(Even better if you wish to try - there's some information at http://rolledon.forummotion.com/ on how to paint it yourself. )

RwP

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Yeah, the hood had a bunch of small paint chips, some of which I had poorly touched up with the wrong color paint and some I did not. I took a look in a junkyard and found a hood and fender that look to be undamaged. Wrong color, though. And a bumper cover with a chip or two in it but otherwise nice. That should take a bit off the repair bill if the body shop will accept them.
The body shop that I go to uses junkyard parts anyway, you are saving yourself money by finding and buying them yourself. :)

Installing a hood and a fender is pretty easy, most of the cost for body work is labor. If you cut out the labor, its not that expensive.

Better, try to get the cash in YOUR pocket, and do the swapping yourself, then get the body shop to paint it.

(Even better if you wish to try - there's some information at http://rolledon.forummotion.com/ on how to paint it yourself. )

RwP
This.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, if I want to keep the car and get some cash I have to buy the car back as a salvage vehicle and wait some weeks for a salvage title from the state. And that old Dodge van does not get the best mileage in the world, either.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Told the insurance man about an hour ago that I am keeping the Cougar and will get some money back with which to effect repairs. A great relief, I feel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts