• No

Votes: 7 13.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Yes and no... :D

I have a love/hate relationship with tinted windows. I love how they look, but hate the reduced visibility at night. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
224 Posts
With my 97 - It was tinted to 1% all the way around - drove it at night, had no damn idea what was going on around me. I would say go to what the law allows, but i'm thinking anything over 5% is more of a distraction than anything. imho

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I don't see why you wouldn't have already done it. Just keep it real so you can see at night. If you can't see people walking on a street that your about to make a left turn onto then you've tinted them darker thens safe and most likely quite a bit darker then the law allows.

I've had two tinted cougars and had very little problem seeing around me at night. One night camping at a state part I did back into a tree at about 2 mph and let out a god awful CRACK! that probably woke everyone up but that night it was pitch black out too. It didn't even leave a scratch on the bumper. It was just a tap but in a quiet campground at night it may as well been a bomb going off. I still swear that tree jumped out behind me at the last second! lol

·
smoothed and filled red pearl 94
631 Posts
i dont know if youve had tinted windows before, but if you do tint em, be ready to get pulled over a lot. cops love to get people (especially young people) for tint violations. often times (read: everytime in my experience) they will also want to search your ride cause they seem to think that tint=covering up illegal activities. if the tint is legal, at least you wont have to remove the tint when you get a work order ticket. however, you will have to go get it checked by a cop, and that gets irritating fast. i personally do not like driving knowing that i can be pulled over at any time. in the first month i had a car with superdark 15% up front and 5% in the rear, i got pulled over about 5 times. ive never been pulled over in the 2 years in the bird with no tint. tint looks good, but i have gotten to like the factory "open" look myself.\

-94MN1246

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
i dont know if youve had tinted windows before, but if you do tint em, be ready to get pulled over a lot.
I would think a pearl flake blue bagged bird with a body kit and huge sliding moonroof, that's riding on bling bling chrome 20's would already be a cop magnet? :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
Tint to what the law allows that doesn't obstruct your vision! I'm just waiting for my rear to get me pulled over...it's 1%----so black it's scary. Plus, you ever have to remove tint...taking that glue off sucks...2 hours for 2 windows!

·
Hittin' Switches
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would think a pearl flake blue bagged bird with a body kit and huge sliding moonroof, that's riding on bling bling chrome 20's would already be a cop magnet? :D
lol...

in all reality, ive been pulled over once, and that was because "the license plate in the back window dosnt cut it"

at the time my license had just expired, he let me go without a ticket at all and told me he liked the car, haha.

thats the only time ive ever been pulled over in this thing.

-- Matt Musto

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Most places the back can be painted if that is what you want. If you the back windows are not even the little bit translucent then you need to have side view mirrors, that is it.

I need to get my Cougar in to get it done. I saw a pearl sport like mine and it looked better than I thought it would.

I did the Grand Marquis in 32% front (limit in AZ) and 5% in back. No more problems with the kids watching movies on the dropdown LCD, but like others have said, backing up at night can require you to "use the force" or park by ear.

·
Registered
224 Posts
They must just marvel at your gorgeous creation...let me tell you how Utah is not like that...damn near any infraction will get you pulled over...unless it's those people consistantly speeding and changing lanes without signals...:zsoapbox:
Then the cops are never around - but back to the poll. I voted yes, it would make your car look even more sweet!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I don't know the laws in mississippi but in NY the rear windows can be as dark as you want, but the fronts can't be more then 35% and other then the strip across the top you cant tint the windshield. On my cat I have 20% on the doors, and 6inches ontop of the windshield, 5% over 20% on the 1/4 glass and 5 % on the rear glass.

The 1/4 glass is near impossible to see out of at night on a dark street or in my driveway and the 5% is hard to see but not as bad, but you cant see in the back of the car at all with your face up against the glass even during the day. With the doors I will not go that dark because I could probably talk my way out of a ticket since the front ones are light compared to the rear.

I think as long as you stick to the law or really close you will not have any issues as long as you drive "normal". Good luck with what ever you do, Jon.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I say do it, just don’t go beyond 5% IMO. I did 2.5% tint to my old bird and found myself rolling down the windows to see at night allot of the time. That’s no fun in winter lol. Plus I find out Maine’s law is 50%... GIZZAY!

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Mississippi Window Tint Law
Mississippi Tint Law Enacted: 1988
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN MISSISSIPPI?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Mississippi, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Rear Window Must allow more than 35% of light in.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
NY is 70% actually.. I looked it up to be sure

New York Window Tint Law
New York Tint Law Enacted: 1991
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN NEW YORK?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In New York, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN NEW YORK?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

Front Side Windows No metallic or mirrored appearance.
Back Side Windows No metallic or mirrored appearance.

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
I live in Vegas. Tint is a must, and it looks great. I can see pretty darn well

1 - 20 of 44 Posts