TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I want to get some feed back on what you guys think. I have 97 4.6 and I was thinking about trading my car for a 87-93 5.0. I like the bird be cause people dont think anything of it until I blow there @ss off the road but the stangs there is so many more options to sup them up. let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
513 Posts
keep the bird, unless you are wanting a drag car. if you are wantin more speed do the pi headswap or explorer motor, you will be happy with your bird then

·
Registered
476 Posts
Just remeber anyone can buy speed but to create it now thats impressive. Basicly do something to hot rod out your mn-12, i say one of those shiny ford cammer 5.0 stroker motors, that would add some serious power. By the way what are those cammer engines rated at exactly my one friend said it was around 330 hp i was thinking more to the tune of 400 hp but who knows. anyway thats my 2 cents.

Will

·
Only you can prevent modular fires
1,446 Posts
If your going to daily drive a 5.0 Fox body NOOOOOOOOO dont they are way better to soup up but not a car to drive every day. They cost more than birds though if you find one that isnt JUNK most of them are

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I probley wont trade it. Hey this off the subject but I hate those people that try to imate mustangs with there thunderbird. Im proud to own a thunderbird and I would never never try to bite off of mustangs. like that gagfish car that is clean but why did he have to put that salen stripes on it. Im not trying to talk bad about anyone. But I know at least one of you guys out there fell me.

·
Registered
709 Posts
MAN you got a 97 Tbird there! I don't think I need to remind you that 97s P'OWN ALL!

Old Fox Stangs are all junk. You can do lots to you car if you want to! Shure there isn't as much aftermarket as a 5.0 but there is still enough options there for u. From PI upgrades to a supercharger kit! I like Mustangs and if you had an older Bird I MIGHT agree. But to get rid of a 97 Bird for a much older Stang is not worth it.

With the money you save on insurance and fixing an old beat stang you can do up the 97!

JAke

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
A bird is a nice comfy car that will shock most people with its handling, and will run with the pack pretty well, in plush comfort. Insurance is cheap, there is all kinds of potential , and waaaay better community image than a stang. If youre dating , her parents will approve more of the bird, and they just plain have more class.... Keep it till its boreing your socks off....... :xpwink:

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
gixxer, you have to remember we have to look at stangs for some parts, because of the lack of bolt on stuff for ours.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
gixxer said:
Hey I want to get some feed back on what you guys think. I have 97 4.6 and I was thinking about trading my car for a 87-93 5.0. I like the bird be cause people dont think anything of it until I blow there @ss off the road but the stangs there is so many more options to sup them up. let me know what you guys think.

no

a stang like that is also less sofisticated and not a well rounded car but do what you want, and you pay a crap load more insurance

·
Registered
744 Posts
i know it not the same, but after driving my uncle's 2002 v6 vert. for 3 weeks i couldn't wait to get back in the bird---roomy, comfortable, and three little letters: I.R.S. i do miss the lack of roof though.

·
Registered
292 Posts
My opinion applies to my car as a daily driver, that I have to live with day in and day out, get through various state emissions inspections AND count on to travel cross-country whenever I need to (I'm in the Navy and move occasionally). I had a 94 Mustang GT, in perfect shape, but I traded it in to get my wife a new Intrepid last year, and I got to keep her "old" 97 4.6 bird.

The bottom line was, the bird had leather, a sunroof, a way better ride (due to the longer wheelbase and all-around better-designed suspension), more room (I have two boys and I travel a lot). The Mustang had none of these. The seating position on the Mustang was brutal, no matter what I tried to do. Try to drive one with your arm on the window sill. I dare you... Ergonomically, the fox and SN95 Mustangs stink, unless you are severly deformed and double-jointed. My Fiero GT has a more comfortable interior than a Mustang, especially the 5-speed's shifter placement.

My Mustang was slow, too. It was a 5.0. with the AOD-E (properly J-modded, of course)and 2.73 rear end. My bird, with just the mods in my signature, would eat it alive on the short runs.

For simple mods like I stuck with, a Dynomax catback for a Mustang will run you close to $300, but only a shade over $200 for a bird. Lowering springs for a stang cost the same as they do for a bird, but you will also need a camber kit to lower a Mustang correctly. That's around another $200. And then it will ride bad, to boot. So you can't get an offroad pipe off the shelf, or headers for $200. Big deal; when you really NEED them, you'll find the cash for what is out there.

There are blower and nitrous kits out there for birds, for almost the same price as for a Mustang. When you start playing in the 14 second and below area, the cost differences for effective mods aren't that big of a deal any more. Look at what guys like A-train and Johnny Langton have done, and you'll see the potential the birds have.

And Mustangs are like belly buttons and other body parts. Everyone has them.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I'd just like to point out that you are asking a question regarding keeping a MN-12 or getting a horse to park in your garage, to a bunch of people who are MN-12 enthusiasts... If you go to coral they will tell you the exact opposite of what we tell you.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
At the beginning of December, my mom bought my bird from me and I bought a 96 Mustang GT. I didn't want to buy a fox body, because they are all 12 years and older now and I didn't want as much maintenance ( i.e. mod the car on my schedule, not the car's). Plus, I like the efficiency and longevity of the 4.6. I like my Mustang a lot. The ride is not bad, it handles well, and it is fairly quick. I like my manual transmission, the way it looks, the way it sounds, etc. I definitely get a lot more looks in it than the bird. I fit pretty well in it too, and I'm about 6'2" and skinny. I can pretty comfortably drive with one arm on the window sill, and can reach the shifter just fine( and I'm neither severely deformed nor double jointed). I do miss the bird every now and then though. It is an even more comfortable car for highway cruising and would
probably be more practical for most people. My insurance on my stang is just a little more than it was on the bird(V8).

--->The bottom line to all this is simply get what you're happy with. But I wouldn't trade a 97 bird for a fox stang, you're bird will be a much more reliable and nicer car.

I always wanted a Mustang since I was like 14 too (19 now), so I'm sure that had something to do with my decision. I also had wanted to do a lot to the bird, like swap in a t45, but it was much easier just to buy a car that already had what I wanted on it, and work from there.

terraplane-I was just going to buy a Jeg's cat-back kit for the stang, it's $180. They don't offer one for the birds besides the dynomax, flowmasters etc. which are more expensive for stangs. Other parts are much cheaper for stangs than for birds(ex. new headlights). I do see what you're saying about lowering and such, the bird's suspension design is much better. Both cars have their pros and cons.

Sorry guys, I guess I'm a lemming...lol

--Rob

sorry for the length, i tend to ramble...

·
Registered
287 Posts
i dont know about you guys and your mods, but i barely have $500-600 invested in my car, and early ninty stangs barley pull on me when i race them....i stay even through second gear and then they pull about 1/4 of a carlength away, and thats as far as they get, till one of us lets off....

my verdic....keep the bird...with intake, exhaust, chip, gears, and TC (about $500-600, :D) youll be amazed with your cars new autitude...trust me, i still am :cool:

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
i'm planning on trading my 97 bird in this summer toward an 03/04 cobra. i've been in late model sn95's and i know abut the hard to reach shifter, ackwardly shaped door panels but that doesnt bother me. i'm not buying it to take long comfortable raod trips. i'm buying it because it has everything i want: dohc 4.6, supercharger, manual trans and irs. Don't get me wrong, i love thunderbirds (i've had 3) but this summer i'll have the money to afford what i've always wanted. i do plan to buy another 96-97 bird to keep stock as my daily driver/winter car. In my opinion i wouldnt trade a 97 bird for a fox stang or a 94-98 stang. 99 was the year when the mustang became respectable again. That being said, its your money and your going to be the one driving it everyday, so get what makes you happy.

Frank

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
i would rock a 99 cobra, maybe an 03, but yeah the inside of the car on the 99+ stang, eh, i dislike a little bit, at 6'2'' i find myself feeling uncofortable even for short rides at the dealer with certain stang, but sadly, id rock a 99+ V6 5spd stang, a 99 cobra, an 03 cobra, and thats probably it stang wise, if i was hunting for a 99+ GT price ranged vehicle id probably get a diffrent kinda car (03 maxima or something), but for fox bodies, yeah stock i walk them, even a little mods, ill beat em, have at the strip many times, but for 500-600 bucks a 5spd 91 lx 5.0 could touch hi 13s, ive seen it done, so each to his own, test drive a few see how you like them

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
mylittleblackbird said:
I'd just like to point out that you are asking a question regarding keeping a MN-12 or getting a horse to park in your garage, to a bunch of people who are MN-12 enthusiasts... If you go to coral they will tell you the exact opposite of what we tell you.
Then I guess my perspective should be a fresh one then……:)

gixxer, I think overall you’d be happier with your MN12. I’m coming from the other end of the spectrum. I sold my ’87 5.0L LX which I loved for 6-years and went to my ’96 XR7. Sure, I could have bought another one, and yeah the Stang was quick and driving the 5-speed over the 4R70W slush-box makes it a little more fun at times, but the old Fox’s have their quirks and inconsistencies and share of problems that I just couldn’t put up with anymore. My car was restored from the ground up, but I was always afraid of taking it on long trips. Not to mention you get sick and tired of the air rushing through the door sills, creaks and groans, rough ride and loud (aftermarket exhaust). Yeah, engine mods to a 5.0L are less expensive and there is more that can be done to them on a tight budget, but I wouldn’t consider owning one any less expensive. No matter what you do to it, you’re never going to be happy. There’s always a new muffler, throttle body or set of heads you’re gonna want to bolt on.

I think if you ever though of getting one at all, a mod motor SN-95 is where you should start. The 5.0L OHV has gone the way of the dinosaur, whether enthusiasts want to admit it or not (sorry 5.0 guys). The future in Fords engine line up lies in the Modular engines. With an SN-95 you get the best of the Fox chassis with all of those bugs worked out (or at least as best they can with a nearly 25-year-old modified Ford Fairmont platform :tongue: ) along with a more modern hamster spinning the wheel.

Just don't be hasty with your decision, because you're feeling an itch to see what’s on the other side of the hill.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Palmguy said:
You realize that "Cammer" motor costs about 15k?

It's rated at over 400 bhp.

If you want a fast cheap car, a Fox Stang would be the better way to go.

5.0gt40 At the risk of sounding redundant, I have this engine on order, and I'm going to swap it into my 97 4.6. Im going to mod the 2v 4.6 Romeo motor and sell it. This engine is listed for [email protected]

Plus you could find a dohc Lincoln 4.6 motor (295bhp) for cheaper then that.

If your gonna trade your mn12 in for a Fox body, thats cool, but consider this, most fox 5.0's are so cheap you could drive home in one with the change in your pocket. I like my mn12 because Im 6'6 and the seat goes so low to the floor I feel like a midget. The ride is very comfortable, and I like humbling riceboys/gals going up steep hills. Because I have all the badges removed most people ask me what kind of car it is that I'm driving. Once I finish doing everything I possible can to her Im going to buy an 85'-90 Corvette, and replace everything.

Keep your car, mod it up, smoke a grip of cars, and then get your Mustang. :ssalute:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts