TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought some MOOG sway bar end links at carquest and they are the grease kind so they came with dust boots and greese fittings plus the bolts. don't the end links have bushings on either side? if so are these normally seperate?

thanks, chad.

·
Registered
610 Posts
billabong132 said:
I just bought some MOOG sway bar end links at carquest and they are the grease kind so they came with dust boots and greese fittings plus the bolts. don't the end links have bushings on either side? if so are these normally seperate?

thanks, chad.
The fronts? No.

Jim Long

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so on the front it just goes link / dust boot / spindle ?

any tips you can offer me? could I do it on ramps or does the weight need to be off the wheels?

·
Registered
610 Posts
billabong132 said:
so on the front it just goes link / dust boot / spindle ?

any tips you can offer me? could I do it on ramps or does the weight need to be off the wheels?
The end of the front link is tapered and goes through the spindle and swaybar and the locknut goes on the outside of the spindle. I changed mine with the weight off the front suspension. This way iy will drop down enough to get them out.

Have some penetrant handy, a big hammer, and a big brass drift would be handy tools to have. I believe the nuts are 15 m/m. I had one that didn't want to come out and I had to get the big guns out a small 5 pound sledge is a good thing to have.
:uppoint: ...

Jim Long

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, now that I took it off I see it was the destroyed boots that I thought were bushings ;-).

Why do companies used these sealed joints? Once the boot tears its game over.

I was pleased as a peach to see the moog links I got had grease fittings.

·
Registered
610 Posts
billabong132 said:
thanks guys, now that I took it off I see it was the destroyed boots that I thought were bushings ;-).

Why do companies used these sealed joints? Once the boot tears its game over.

I was pleased as a peach to see the moog links I got had grease fittings.
Using a pickle fork is bad for the rubber. Thats why I use a big brass drift on the tie rods and swaybar bushings. At 40 bucks a pop, I don't plan on replacing them very often except when they wear out.

Bad thing about grease fitting is most people overgrease them till they puke grease blowing the boot, this is not good and wear is 100K plus with the sealed joint.

My .002

Jim Long

1 - 6 of 6 Posts