TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey people, my boy has a 2003 taurus...i noticed his side mirrors have courtesy lights on the bottom ...i thought thatd be real nice on a bird..especially if i changed them blue........anyone know if the taurus mirrors would fit (im guessing they wont)...and/or would anyone be able to actually find a way to install lights on the stock mirrors....

if anyone wants a new project to try...here ya go....im definatly willing to put up some cash if it can be done...

i'll get a pic of my boys car with the lights on in a couple days
comments and opinions wanted..

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
I think that would be awesome if you could get it to work. It would be cool if they came on when you clicked your unlock on your keyless remote. Definitely would be interested if you could get it done. Good luck!
C.Hill

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'm not sure how similar the mounts are, (they're probably pretty close), but 97 and '98 Mark VIII mirrors have coutresy lights, (they call them "puddle lamps"), and also turn signals in the mirrors. They're also heated.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Knice... you could always take off the side mirrors and open them up, get some flush mount LEDs, drill a few holes, mount wire and voila

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah ur right...i probly could....if i was only more handy than an armless person....but...there goes that....well see wha happens...i'll bring this post back when somethn happens

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
I got some puddle lamps from an Exploder last year. I was wanting to cut holes in the bottom of my mirrors to install them, but I found that there wasn't enough room.
I stuck 'em under the car and wired them with the footwell lamps.
Now the ground lights up under the doors when the illuminated entry system is activated (keyless, lifting door handle, etc).
It's a pretty cool effect.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nice idea...i'll ponder that one

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
johnaec said:
I'm not sure how similar the mounts are, (they're probably pretty close), but 97 and '98 Mark VIII mirrors have coutresy lights, (they call them "puddle lamps"), and also turn signals in the mirrors. They're also heated.
I don't suppose Mark and T-bird side mirrors are interchangeable are they?

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
I have no personal experience, but this was discussed a while back and someone mentioned that the MK8 mirrors have different mounting points, hence no interchanging

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Drat. I have some of those generic "Chevron" blinkers, just haven't gotten up the nerve to install em yet. (I hate running wires in tiny places)

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Yeah running new wires into the doors can be a PITA. Possible, and not too difficult, just stubborn. I've used coat hangers for those sorts of things. Run it through your ducts/whatever as a guide, tape wire on, and pull the wire back through.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I think I can get them through the mirrors easily enough. Its getting them from the doors, through the firewall, the fenders, and to the turn signal thats slowing me down. I'm not the little, flexible, 18 year old I used to be!

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
Traveler said:
I think I can get them through the mirrors easily enough. Its getting them from the doors, through the firewall, the fenders, and to the turn signal thats slowing me down. I'm not the little, flexible, 18 year old I used to be!
tie the wires to a little bob weight and feed the wire accordingly
Falcon5783 said:
Yeah running new wires into the doors can be a PITA. Possible, and not too difficult, just stubborn. I've used coat hangers for those sorts of things. Run it through your ducts/whatever as a guide, tape wire on, and pull the wire back through.
didnt we discuss mirror turn signals and where to run the wires before? i remember discussing it with someone on here, thought it was you.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
redneckcougarguy said:
didnt we discuss mirror turn signals and where to run the wires before? i remember discussing it with someone on here, thought it was you.
Umm, it very well could've been, I know I've been involved in discussion in a previous thread on here before.

Traveler you could always go off the MFS (?) inside the car, and not mess with going through the firewall. If you stuck with LEDs the current draw is so minimal you wouldn't need to use a relay, which cuts down on a ton of wiring

1 - 20 of 23 Posts