TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever done side pipes on a thunderbird, Like a COBRA R, that looks cool. I think it would kick ***. Also would it be hard and does anyone else think it would look good. Plus it would be cheap to make, I think the only problem would be that the pipes would hang too low. Then I could use my dynomax mufflers and it could be loud enough for my taste

·
8,239 Posts
I think the only problem would be the fuel lines on the side of the car :)

You don't want to run exhaust pipes under fuel lines.

JH

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
A couple birds out there have it done. I dont know who and where the info is though. Maybe using the search for the forums might show a thread with more info.

The fuel lines to create a problem though.

-Shawn

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
im going to end up doing it, wrap the exhaust in header wrap and put a starter blanket beween the fuel lines and the exhaust it should keep it cool enough. if not kaboom, nice knowin ya.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've considered it, too, as a means of doing a true-dual setup on my own (piecing it all together with a buttload of mandrel elbows and straightpipes), but I realized that it would mean having ZERO clearance under the car. I've done it before on a Crown Vic and on a notchback Fox Mustang, but those were with frames made with the intent of having the muffler under the passenger area of the car and, thus, more room to work with; on MN12's, you're kinda limited to this inverted-canyon-like tunnel under the rear seat area, and trying to get past that would require you to bring the piping down so low that you'd only have about 1"-3" at best of undercar clearance. Jeez, you'd be scraping stuff just going down the highway, and forget about even TRYING to go over speed bumps! :eek:

Not trying to kill your idea - hey, if you can find a way to make it work, dude, I give oodles of kudos to thee - but from what I can see under there, there's only three practical exhaust setups (not including dumps):
1. duals to single, then splitting to duals (OEM setup)
2. duals to single, all the way out (V6 setup)
3. true duals running parallel all the way out back

That, and then there's that big ol' honkin' gas tank hanging around back there, too, that you've gotta consider. You *could*, theoretically, cut through the heat shielding in front of that, assuming you can somehow cram the third cat AND a muffler in front of there, but I dunno what you could do with the fuel tank, itself, short of switching over to using a fuel cell in the trunk and deleting the factory tank. (Not really worth the trouble just for the sake of having side pipes.)

BUT ... if you've got a plan, PLEASE fill me in. I miss the sound of true duals...

·
Registered
965 Posts
My pipe dream one day....... is to scrap the stock fuel tank, go with a fuel cell in the rear (caged of course) and then go with the sidepipe setup.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Is the hydraulic diameter of a 1 x 4 rectangular tube equivalent to that of the 2.5 inch pipe? I could answer it myslef later if I got out the fluids book, but it is finals week, I don't want to think more than necessary.

If you want side pipes but want to keep mufflers, the 70 AAR Cudas and T/A Challengers had side exit exhaust that ran back to the mufflers, the muffler exit was on the same side as the entrance so the exhaust could come back forward and go out the side, exiting at a sweet chrome 'megaphone'. Could be one way to do it and keep mufflers on an MN12 by copying that set up.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
4 Cam Bird said:
Is the hydraulic diameter of a 1 x 4 rectangular tube equivalent to that of the 2.5 inch pipe? I could answer it myslef later if I got out the fluids book, but it is finals week, I don't want to think more than necessary.

If you want side pipes but want to keep mufflers, the 70 AAR Cudas and T/A Challengers had side exit exhaust that ran back to the mufflers, the muffler exit was on the same side as the entrance so the exhaust could come back forward and go out the side, exiting at a sweet chrome 'megaphone'. Could be one way to do it and keep mufflers on an MN12 by copying that set up.
first part, f' if i know, someone wanna figure out the area of a 2.5" circle and the area of a 1x4 rectangle? its been so long since i did that, i forgot how.

now yer thinking on the inlet and outlet on the same side.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
2.5" cirular pipe:
radius=1.25 in.
3.14x(1.25^2)=4.90874
~4.91 in^2

1x4 rectangular pipe:
1x4=4 in^2

The circular pipe would flow better as it has the bigger area. You would have to add a little bit to the dimensions of the rectangular pipe to get it to flow as well ie. 1x5 or 1.25x4 etc.

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
VicRattlehead said:

first part, f' if i know, someone wanna figure out the area of a 2.5" circle and the area of a 1x4 rectangle? its been so long since i did that, i forgot how.

now yer thinking on the inlet and outlet on the same side.
Area of Rectangle: base x height
Area = 1" x 4" = 4 "^2.

Area of Circle = pi x (r^2) ....(radius squared)
I'm assuming the 2.5" is the diameter of the circle. So the radius is 1.25."

Area = pi x (1.25^2) = 3.14" x 1.56" = 4.9087 "^2 ~= 4.91 "^2

that's just the physical sizes of the shapes in question... assuming I've not dropped the ball on simple geometry (which could easily happen nowadays).

I feel ya 4 Cam... finals suck. :mad:

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
not only is the cross section smaller, but wouldn't there be more surface area (circumference) to slow the gasses down?

2.5"diameter
2*PI*R= PI*D= 7.85

1x4
1*2+4*2 =10

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
aright smart guys just cause it was like 2am and i didnt feel like figuring it out, i knew it was PIr^2 and LxW but yea i might go 1.5x4 instead of the 1"tall.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I believe the proper term is side-exit exhaust. SIDEPIPES came on '60's Corvettes and Shelby Cobras, and ran the length of the rocker panels.

NASCAR uses ovalized exhaust tubing. Their supplier is Dr. Gas.

www.drgas.com

A single 1-1/16" thick boom tube might be able to preserve some ground clearance.

Greenbird - the small increase in drag from surface area is minimal, especially if you are talking about a car with only 4.6L of displacement. It does not matter, especially because the smallest size available is 3" oval; it has approximately the same CSA of a 3" round tube, but is only 2.25" thick.

Below is data for the CSA of oval and round tubing.

Oval Tubing
Name A-Dimension B-Dimension C-Dimension Cross Sectional Area
3-inch 2.25 3.50 1.25 6.79
3.5-inch 2.50 4.00 1.50 8.66
4-inch 2.75 4.63 1.88 11.10
5-inch 3.25 6.00 2.75 17.23

Circular Tubing
Diameter Cross-Sectional Area x 2
2.25 3.98 7.95
2.50 4.91 9.82
2.75 5.94 11.88
3.00 7.07 14.14
3.25 8.30 16.59
3.50 9.62 19.24

·
Registered
165 Posts
AUGH! MATH! Nooooooo! :bawling:

Sidepipes OR side-exits, either way, are equally difficult on an MN12, so the debate as to HOW it can be accomplished (or IF it can) still stands, regardless of terminology. :tongue:

The inlet-outlet-same-side mufflers of which you speak are the same ones I used to do the side-exits on my Mustang. Dynomax makes 'em, I believe the part # is 17676 and they run about $50 apiece. They sound AWESOME, and they're actually less restrictive than Super Turbos because they just do a big "U" inside, rather than a tight "S" flow pattern. Only thing is, of course, figuring how the heck to route that puppy underneath an MN12 body.

If you could somehow make the tubing backtrack a bit toward just behind the passenger seat (just ahead of the fuel tank), you could throw in a 90* elbow and run it straight out to the right side only (if you're doing a single-outlet) and then cap it off with a chrome dual-tip kinda like the Cobra R. Then again, you'd have to shield it from the fuel lines with heat wrap or something as mentioned above, probably have to cut into the "tunnel" of metal heat shielding toward the middle, and still have to worry about ground clearance. I dunno, still sounds like a big ol' PITA to me. :zdunno:

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
JustinH said:
I think the only problem would be the fuel lines on the side of the car :)

You don't want to run exhaust pipes under fuel lines.

JH
Doesn't every car with sidepipes have fuel lines????

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just re-route the fuel lines. Would give you an excuse to go with braided steel. You could go right down the center where the old exhaust was.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts