TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today when i was driving home i noticed my temp guage way by hot, then I kept watching it and i shot back down to norm and it was fine. is the t-stat sticking closed?

I had the coolant flushed 50k ago.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I guess a few questions are in order;

1. Did you check the coolant level since this happened?

2. Were there any signs of the car overheating besides the gauge going up?

3. How high up did the needle go - into the red?

4. Was it an unusally hot day there?

5. Are your radiator ccoling fins clean - or full of road grime?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess a few questions are in order;

1. Did you check the coolant level since this happened?

2. Were there any signs of the car overheating besides the gauge going up?

3. How high up did the needle go - into the red?

4. Was it an unusally hot day there?

5. Are your radiator ccoling fins clean - or full of road grime?
Coolat level is fine

It was pretty hot for a 4mi drive

Needle almost hit red right below it, then it went to norm. I did replace the ECT sensor awhile back.

No it was 55-60 deg.

Yes they are clean I cleaned them when I replaced some powersteering lines.

Today when I started it and drove it stayed in cold for a loong time and gradually went to norm, never went back to hot. I dunno does this car have a bypass if the tstat goes bad?

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
There are two coolant temperature sensors, one is for the gauge, the other is for the computer. Which one did you replace? Usually, when the one for the gauge goes bad, it reads low, instead of high.

A new T-stat costs about $9.00, and about 30 minutes of do-it-yourself-time. Can't hurt to try that, especially if it's had a lot of time on it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thought about your situation again. If the engine coolant is up to 230 you will feel the extra heat in and around the car. If you carefully and slowly release the resivoir cap and stick in a long pronged themometer that you can get from the grocery store, you can get a very good reading of the coolant temp. Also, keep the a/c off. I found that my coolant temps just keep going up in traffic w/90 temps and the a/c on. Then if the temps still go up I would bet on the water pump. With no a/c in summer my coolant temps are 190-200 in traffic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts