TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, while changing the K-member side strut rod bushings I discovered coolant dripping off the front of my engine. I traced it up the timing cover and it appears to be coming from the water pump. I know on older cars there's a weephole by the bearing that will begin to leak when the water pump is going out... is it not the same for these? I can clearly see it's NOT the heads (THANK GOD) and the upper radiator hose is dry.

Well, since I have to address the cooling system anyway, I'm gonna go through and replace the coolant, pull the radiator out and flush it and replace the hoses. I'd like to upgrade to silicone for some additional idiot-proof-ness. I can be a fairly significant idiot, especially when cars are involved!

I know the cop Vics have silicone hoses, and I've seen hoses from Mishimoto for SN95 Mustangs. It's hard to tell from pictures, but which is a better fit of the two for our cars. In searching I've read (hopefully not misread) on here that the Vic hoses can be used, but it looks like the upper hose goes to the drivers side of the radiator on the Vics whereas on our cars it goes to the passengers side. Also the SN95 Mustang hoses appear to be routed the same way as our cars, so I'm wondering if anyone's experimented with this and could tell me which will work best.

Thanks!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Silicone hoses don't offer any benefits over the high quality EPDM rubber hoses used in all Fords produced in the last 10-15 years. Silicone hoses are perceived as being more rugged, but in fact are only significantly more expensive!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Silicone hoses don't offer any benefits over the high quality EPDM rubber hoses used in all Fords produced in the last 10-15 years. Silicone hoses are perceived as being more rugged, but in fact are only significantly more expensive!
I would assume they are perceived as being more rugged because they are standard eqiupment on FoMoCo emergency vehicles. Ford seems to think it's worth the extra cost outlay to put them on CVPI's, so that, combined by the fact that up until now I've heard nothing to the contrary, leads me to believe they are superior. I am also led to believe they deteriorate less, or at a slower rate, than traditional rubber hoses.

I am also inclined to believe that the high-quality EPDM hoses of which you speak are not available over the counter at your typical auto parts store. The fact of the matter is that I have a car with 125,000 miles on it that's getting its cooling system serviced, and since I'll have it drained I figure that's a good time to change hoses. They don't look too bad, but the car is 16 years old and I'm fairly convinced they're the originals.

What would you recommend, sourced from whom? I don't mind to spend the money now to put the right stuff in the car, but I do need to know what the consensus is on what product is the most deserving of my hard-earned money and where the best place to get said product is. By the same token I'd prefer not to be sodomized by my friendly Ford dealer.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
985 Posts
The only reaon that silicone hoses are in any modern Ford vehicle is that the commercial use customers demand them. They are the ones who perceive the silicone rubber as being more durable. The EPDM hoses Ford has been using for some time now are good for 10 years / 150,000 miles. I've worked in engine cooling at Ford since 1994 and have been involved with hose materials among many other cooling system components.

My recommendation is to stick with genuine Ford parts. When I put the new engine in my '97 three years ago, I bought new hoses at a local dealer. You can buy parts from Silver State Ford at 25% off dealer list, which is actually better than the employee discuont.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good for 10 yrs/150K is good enough for me. Thanks for the info!

I guess it makes sense that it's a practice they would continue with the silicone hoses since it's been in place at least since the early 90's and that's what the customer expects.

Is there a good way to tell EPDM from the inferior material, other than 200-degree coolant spewing from the engine bay, just out of curiosity?

$55+shipping for both hoses from Silverstate isn't bad, especially compared to what retailers seem to think silicone ones are worth. That's only $14 higher than OTC at Advance Auto Parts for the cheap stuff. MSRP $100 at my friendly Ford dealer, however, is unacceptable.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Unfortunately, no, I'm not aware of any reliable way to tell one rubber coumpound from another without lab testing.

Glad to be able to help.

·
Super Moderator
10,401 Posts
But the Silicone hoses are BLUE!

:rofl:

If it has a Motorcraft sticker on it, it's EDPM. (our hoses, anyway.) Rockauto sells them as well. :thumbsup: That's where I bought mine. I keep spares in the trunk of the one that's 14 year old and the hoses still feel like they're good.

Our lower hose is funky; I would not buy a 'cheap' one. Look at it; you'll see what I mean.

The upper goodyear silicone from a 4.6 stang will fit, from what I've read; If you must have blue. :)

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
"The upper goodyear silicone from a 4.6 stang will fit, from what I've read; If you must have blue."

Yep it works , Had one on my 4.6 before the blower install . Top hose works , Bottom does not

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I would have to agree. I still have the original hoses in my 95 Town Car w/179k on it.

·
Super Moderator
10,401 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The hoses in our cars are excellent quality, I replaced mine after close to 200K miles, but honestly they could almost pass as a few years old. Discount OEM is worth it, the $20 bucks you save at the parts store isn't. Advance auto hoses seem flimsy. I always thought Gates and Dayco are the OEM, but I've compared both on a few Ford cars to Motorcraft and you can see the quality in the Ford ones. Don't forget the rear heater hoses too, be careful taking them off the heater core nipple.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts