TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have a 93' t bird lx and it is bone stock with like 220k i cant afford a rebuild right now but my friend said he has a 351 that came out of his dads shop and it has like 50k on it and he will sell it to me for 100 dollars will it go right in with changing the motor mounts and will it fit onto my stock transmission and not cause problems with that?

thnak you for your help

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
fit?

Hello

Yes it will fit. I have a 351 in my 90.

However, Not every thing will interchange. the 351w is larger than your 302

Paul

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what do u mean by not everything will intercahnge? as long as the motor fits in the and i can put my headers back on it or get a set that will im good

·
Super Moderator
7,981 Posts
Ok, for starters, you don't need to change the motor mounts. You can use the stock 5.0 mounts on the 351. You will need a different oil pan. The 351 is wider and the 302 pan won't fit. You need to find a double-sump 351W pan. Also you need a different intake manifold. You can bolt your 302 headers onto the 351, but you won't be able to bolt them to the rest of the exhaust. You will likely have problems with hood clearance and if you keep it fuel injected, you might have to clearance the cowl panel too. The 351 uses a different distributer, so if you want to use your stock ignition system, you need to make sure it is the right distributer, or get the right one if it isn't. The motor can be swapped in, but it isn't just going to drop in place of the 5.0. If you don't have the money to rebuild the 5.0 right now, then you probably don't have the money to swap in a 351 right now. If I were in your shoes, I would buy the 351 for $100, and take it completely apart and start rebuilding that. If you have never rebuilt an engine before, then this will be a good learning experience, and by leaving your 5.0 in the car, you can still drive it while you slowly collect parts for the 351 rebuild. You could even get a stroker kit for the 351 if you want, and there would be no reason to rush in the build. This way when you are finally done building the motor and collecting all the necessary parts, you can swap it in one weekend and not be out a car for too long.

Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok im takin ur idea and slowly building the 351w but i dont know but the stroker kit my brother can help me he has rebuild many motor and he has an 87 mystang LX right now with about 11 grand in the motor so ill get him to help me out thanks for the advice

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
-Whitt- said:
ok im takin ur idea and slowly building the 351w but i dont know but the stroker kit my brother can help me he has rebuild many motor and he has an 87 mystang LX right now with about 11 grand in the motor so ill get him to help me out thanks for the advice
Sounds like a fun project!!! Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts