• Dual (example: 2.5" duals w/ H Pipe)

Votes: 40 70.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious as to who likes what....in my latter days of tccoa'ing ive began to like the idea of 3" 2-1-2 setup exhaust with magnaflow muffer(s) but this is jsut a general poll...of what people would rather have on there cars......true duals.....or.....a single exhaust setup like stock.....just biger in size

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
im getting almost the same setup as stock, just 2.25 piping before the magna muffler to 3 out and splitting to 2.5....now would u guys recomend running catless? or should i stay with them....i got highflow cats, but i might consider just replacing those with MILs

·
Registered
287 Posts
Stick with the cats...keep your low end grunt and clean smelling exhaust...not to mention...keep your tips clean.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah, but duals makes you look and sound a bit like everone else...I think I will be the odd ball out. Look for the Blackbird blasting out of one pipe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Duals all the way!! For $115, I cut my stock exhaust off a few inches behind the O2 sensors on both sides of the factory "collectors", took the whole exhaust setup to a muffler shop and had two 2.5" pipes bent to follow the original set-up. 10' pipes stop just behind the diff cover once they are all bent. I left them straight for a day (no mufflers and the the 3rd big CAT is done away with). About 5k rpm it would start snappin' and blattin' really loud. And I mean REALLY loud. The next day I got 2 90 degree elbows and put the exhaust tips so the burn th mudflaps. Now it starts making ruckus at 3 grand, instead of 5k. Perfect for 1st gear "punches" to set off car alarms. Also, at 70mph on the interstate, I can turn the O/D off and it'll be at the 3k sweet spot, just to cruise by CAT-back pick-ups with an attitude.

You will need adapters to fit the 2.5 pipe onto the original exhaust, and the pipes run beside the tranny on top of the X-member, so I wrapped heat reflective tape on the pan and on the bottom sides of the tranny case just to be safe. You also need to drill a hole on each side of the rear frame rails to support the tips.

I have access to a pit so it made the install alot easier, but I imagine laying on the ground will be a complete pain in the ***.

But if you do run "true" duals, the chances of finding another vehicle that sounds like it are slim. I have yet to hear any newer vehicle with more rumble or snap than my 'bird. Especially when I let off the throttle, drop a gear, and let it "back-talk". And, the good part is that if people don't see you making noise, they think its a big 'ole 4X4 truck, not a newer sports car acting like a jack ***.....Latah....

Oh yeah, I noticed a big difference in passing power, and in rolling burnouts. And I swear gas mileage has improved a tad, and it doesn't stink at all.....

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
THUNDERIN'bird said:
And, the good part is that if people don't see you making noise, they think its a big 'ole 4X4 truck, not a newer sports car acting like a jack ***
Yep....that's exactly what I want people to think when I drive by. :leftright There is a guy up here at school that has true duals and it sounds real good. It has its own sound that is in between a cobra and an LS1. My roommate and I thought it was an LS1 when we heard it and that was the only reason we even turned around. He has a 96 cougar with 2.5" pipe ( I don't remember what muffler- it wasn't a flowmaster I know that) that ran back to the differential and had turn downs. Muffler placement, pipe size/configuration, compression, and type of header/exhaust manifolds all play a part in the sound of your exhaust system.

Russell

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
You know...i almost went with 2.5" catless downpipes, into a flowmaster Y-pipe, with a single 3" pipe all the way back to a single 2 or 3 chamber flowmaster. I really dont care about dual tips or mufflers. I was looking more for performance and weight savings going this route. Don't let anyone tell you a V8 bird/cougar HAS to have two tips/mufflers. Chris

·
Registered
382 Posts
I run 2.5" front to back through the big Flowmasters on my '69 Charger big block. There isn't a nicer sound. The Birds a different sort of car though, ( in my opinion). I look at the Thunderbird as a "higher tech" type situation, more finesse, if you will. So I've been thinking about the same thing, Power VS sound.
One thing I have been wondering about is loosing the Third "Cat". How will this effect my pollution readings. They are rather strict here in the Arizona. Can I get by with out the third cat? Will I have to "up grade" to larger dual cats? Does any one have any experence with this?:confused:

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'd go true duals EVERY time--with an X pipe, or at least an H pipe.......and if ya can get away with it........CATLESS also. If you're basically stock.....go true dual 2.25" pipes. If ya done a build up or blower, then maybe 2.5" true duals....or maybe even go stepped exhaust----2.25" downtubes to 2.5" the rest of the exhaust. I do know that anything over 2.5" duals (like 3" duals) is extremely difficult to impossible to do....just to throw that out there.

BIGIRON383: I think you'd be ok dumping the 3rd cat......but I don't have any experience with the sniffer testing........so I can't say for sure. But from what I understand from being here for so long........I don't think you'll have any problems.

Later

Slowride

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had a custom built exhuast with only to cats and passed in AZ with no problem, but someone stolen my car last year. now i'm looking for a new one.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2.5-3" should be ok for a midly moded vehicle

·
Registered
287 Posts
In my humble opinion...going big is a matter of back pressure...The stock set-ups on our cars, as far as I have read, are quite restrictive. If you go bigger and maintain a proper backpressure you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I think it depends on the price you want to spend (duals equal more pipe, more bends, more mufflers,) and the look and sound you are after. Restriction/flow is not a problem with either setup, as properly sized pipe will meet whatever your needs are.
Answer those questions and it should work itself out.
I've had both setups. My old '97 had Kook's headers with 2-1-2 catless setup, with the 1-2 part being the Dynomax catback. My current '97 has modified SVO headers (leaking pieces of crap) with catless dual 2.5" with X-pipe and Dynomax Turbo mufflers. IMO both exhaust setups match the setup of the car, so I really have no preference. Just whatever fits the car's needs the best.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
both work i just like knowing peoples opinions...everyone vote now!

·
Registered
117 Posts
im looking at true duals for my xr7...most muffler shops want around 300 to bend the pipes and install everything. my only problem is finding a shop that will let me get away without having cats put on.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts