TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple Cooper All seasons on the rear and got them siped, definitely worth the 20 bucks I spent. Anyone else siped their tires and had good results from it?

·
smoothed and filled red pearl 94
631 Posts
just learned something

just noticd youre from the UP. used to live right there on KI Sawyer AFB about 15 years ago. is the mackinaw bridge still green? ever been to miner's beach in the winter? kinda off topic i know, but whatever. you would need to sipe your tires up there. how deep of slices were made and can you post a pic up close of the treads? are they any louder?

-John

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it did increase road noise just a bit, nothing annoying though. I have very deep tread and it pretty much covered my tire with lil' rubber fingers. I'm sooooo happy with it, I still float on slush but on ice or packed snow it's def an improvement.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
What is "siping?"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siping

http://www.sipers.com/sipers/index_dual.asp

Just beware mechanical siping machines aren't ideal. due to the way they cut the tire they may leave little bits of loose rubber at the edge of (some) of the tread blocks.

Siping the tread blocks can also be done manually (and more accurately), but obviously it's a tedious thing to do by hand. Siping machines are a compromise. They make the same uniform cut around the tire regardless of where the treadblock is relative to the knife, but they do it quickly and easily.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
oops, i just noticed stocker already posted the one link...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update to what I posted, I got a chance to truly test the tires that are siped. On glare ice the traction is so so better, but on packed snow with these all seasons and deep tread it's 90% of what it'd be on dry. The biggest benefit was making it through eight inches of wet heavy snow on a steeeep hill, with side to side play, but still noticable forward movement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts