TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be heading to college in about a month, and my cougar will be sitting outside my apartment in the elements all year. Is there anything I should worry about regarding the weather hurting any part of the car? It should be driven atleast one a week if not more. I know cars are outside all the time, but its been previously garaged and I'm just curious. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
When I go to school, I put mine on blocks (so it isn't a b&$(% getting the car out when it's snowing) and put a good cover over it (bird sh&& will F your paint up). Make sure to give it a good detailing before you leave, so there's no salt or any other crap on your paint. If you weren't going to drive it at all for 3 or 4 months I would recommend Stabil to add to your gas, but since it'll be driven every week, you don't have to worry about that. I always have the pops clear the snow off of it in the winter. That's about all I do and I don't have any rust or anything like that.

This is a good site regarding winter storage. www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/storage.html

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I have 5 cars... and one car port... so needless to say 4 are sitting out in the weather… :bawling:

Here's my .02:

Invest in a good car cover that is designed for outside storage, i.e. read: $250 - $450! :beek:

Keep the car waxed regularly

Leave the climate control on "vent" to let the interior breathe

If you trust the neighborhood, leave the windows cracked 4 inches.

Lubricate the lock cylinders, hinges, etc.

Again, just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll surely look into this stuff before I leave. Ah, just can't wait for the rigors of city driving on my car...

·
Registered
332 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
Invest in a good car cover that is designed for outside storage, i.e. read: $250 - $450! :beek:

Leave the climate control on "vent" to let the interior breathe

Lubricate the lock cylinders, hinges, etc.

Again, just my .02. :thumbsup:

haha i do the same thing when i have to leave my car sitting for a while like now, doing my heater core and suspended license :(

·
Registered
101 Posts
Try California Car Cover Co. for some good pricing on car covers. Their Noah fabric is real good and durable for outdoor use. Its not bad in price and they have a warranty on their covers (which I used after 5 years of exposing my cover to the elements). Returned for another one without a hassle. Actually, they saw it in my trunk when I went to visit them in Chatsworth and suggested that I needed a new one. Pretty good service! Another alternative is to go to Walmart, buy a new cover for $20 or so, every few months. Can't guarantee the quality of the covers though or what they'll do to your paint.

Nobody had mentioned yet preparing your paint. Suggest Meguiars products, the professional stuff in the tan bottles if you want to go through the step approach. One better is the line of Zaino products, but they are mailorder and the whole paint application process can run to about $100. There's nothing better in many people's opinion, but they are expensive!

Ralf

1 - 6 of 6 Posts