TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I have stayed with a 6 passenger sedan and so far not fallen for the SUV/Crossover that I know I might need, but at this point my daughter leaves the nest in 4 years, my son in 10, maybe my 2000 Grand Marquis will last until then :)

I never had a 2 door coupe until I had a kid, but even then the Cougar has enough rear seat room for kids, even in those huge car seats, and it is easy enough to get them in. Only down fall is the 2 ton 8 foot long door and needing space to the side to open it (and with a lowered car, that it doesn't dig into the sidewalk).

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I tend to agree with the article because cars are built to sell to the masses. The big coupes tended to be sold to people who wanted a big car that looked "sporty". I remember the 2-door Grand Marquis and Towncars in the late 80's, but they were very rare back then.

I also never went with the minivan or SUV craze with a family of 4. We did fine with a 4-door with a big trunk Grand Marquis and Towncars.

The younger generation is different, I see it in my daughter and her friends. They like sporty imports, but have no children. The new crossovers seem to appeal to the ones with families.

Gas prices and smaller family sizes will help drive the market.

Retro pony cars and sporty imports will still have 2-doors, but if you can get a good looking 4-door why not have the extra doors. The Audi A7 is a nice looking 4 door and their are others.

I must admit when I offer coworkers a ride in the back of my Tbird they decline even though I tell them there is a lot of room back their.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Though I prefer 2-doors, I'm smart enough to know never say never. I've caught myself giving a longing look at cars such as the Marauder and the Taurus SHO... Even Porsche makes a 4-door car now.

·
Super Moderator
16,820 Posts
i hate 4 doors. never ever will you see me own one.
X2, Just on principal alone. The very existence of the minivan, SUV and now mutant child of the two, the "Crossover" are based entirely on a CAFE loophole.

Of course most people are too dumb, lazy and fat to own a bigger coupe now a days.

Mark Phelan:
Both have been replaced by vehicles that serve the same purpose better and more efficiently. Some buyers still miss the old formula, though.
Did I miss the memo on how SUVs and vans miraculously became lighter and more aerodynamic than cars?:confused::rolleyes:

... Even Porsche makes a 4-door car now.
And subsequently the most ugly car ever to roll out of Germany. IIRC after the VW takeover it was announced they'll be dropping it and the Cayenne from the lineup. At least there's some hope.

I tend to agree with the article because cars are built to sell to the masses. The big coupes tended to be sold to people who wanted a big car that looked "sporty". I remember the 2-door Grand Marquis and Towncars in the late 80's, but they were very rare back then.
Rare because they were hideous:tongue: The coupes were around from the beginning of the panther platform to the point they were restyled 88. Before that there was always a 2 door full size offered. Town cars were technically never two doors, only the continental(though there was the town car package) was offered as a 2 door in the early 80's, when the Continental got moved to the Fox platform and got superseded by the Town car as the new full size name, the coupe was dropped.

"Sporty" isn't necessarily what made coupes appealing over sedans, they just plain looked better and still do. Sportyness, personal luxury, high end luxury were all hand and hand at the times they were popular.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
I've held the same feelings since I was 14-years-old. I've never been impressed by a four-door car; rather, I would think to myself, "Man... that would look much better without all those doors."

When Chrysler released the Magnum and Charger as four-door models, they may have been targeting modern people who are committed to a life of pure convenience, but they alienated all of the purists, such as myself.

As Matt alluded to, most people place aesthetics lower on the list. When purchasing a car, they're more likely to ask about cupholders, airbags and efficiency. Whereas people who post on these forums are more likely to examine the panel gaps, body lines, ride height, wheel gap, performance numbers, etc.

For every new model that comes out takes another notch out of my enthusiasm for owning a newer car. Everything is tall, bloated, slab-sided and has overly-elaborate headlight and taillight designs. It's nearly impossible to find a stick-shift anymore.

I suppose the manufacturers are pandering to the trends in this country: build oversized, ostentatious vehicles for oversized, self-important people. Make it as easy as possible for them to use their cell phones and eat fast food while driving.

Sorry for the rant.

·
Super Moderator
16,820 Posts
Amen. I read a very old book (early seventiesish) in 6th or 7th grade in the library on the topic of how fiberglass and plastics will make "cars of the future" much more radically styled than they could dream of doing with steel. I remember thinking at the time "WTF!" lol

It is funny you mentioned the headlights and taillights, they do seem to be the only stylised parts left to decipher models, grills too. Sealed beam headlights, as universal as they were, really kept the designers busy because the model diversity was much more obvious than it is today (way easier to update styling year to year as well). Now every division is identified by a gaudy grill and emblem design with models differentiated by headlights, and not even shape, just placement of signals, high/low beams, ect. The headlights are almost universally slanted and the tails are all triangles because of the giant open trinklids that have become the industry standard.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
6-passenger cars are gone. Think people get a 9 passenger SUV and only get one or two people in it; three is pushing it.

I just don't get it people want big SUV's but complain about the fuel mileage.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
workin on getting a one ton 15 passenger van for me and my family. A 6 person car wouldn't do it anyway. As the article states the minivan is just more practical, we fill ours completely up so now it is time to make some extra space.
Alan

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I have been looking for a diesel powered 12 or 15 passenger E250/E350.

We rented one for a family vacation with the V10 and with 9 passengers it was way nicer than the mini van we did the previous trip.

I need a truck, but a van that could tow a trailer would work, wife and kids don't want a big honkin van, but they weren't asked.

·
Super Moderator
11,908 Posts
6-passenger cars are gone. Think people get a 9 passenger SUV and only get one or two people in it; three is pushing it.

I just don't get it people want big SUV's but complain about the fuel mileage.
I know, it's so messed up. Granted, there are rare occasions when having a SUV is appropriate for some families or people who do need to haul large amounts of what-not.

Otherwise, it's all about that "Look at me" factor. I knew in the '90's that when the SUV craze took off that it wouldn't last and people were just wasting money A. on the vehicle purchase itself (back then leasing was still very popular) and B. The cost of gas couldn't and wouldn't stay so low for very long.

• They're compensating for lacking in other areas ... (small penis)
  • It's one-upmanship (My SUV is bigger than your SUV) :tongue: ... See item 7 below.
Here are two great lists I found after a quick Google search. Don't get all bent out of shape over item 3; the first statement is true, the rest is just commentary, this isn't gospel.

Top 10 Reasons that SUVs Suck

1. Obstruction: SUVs are taller than most people. They block the line of sight in parking lots (annoying) and at city intersections (dangerous).
  2. Pollution: SUVs pollute 30% more carbon monoxide than cars, and 75% more nitrogen oxides and other smog-forming chemicals. If your community has a "code red" air day this summer, thank your SUV.
  3. Emission: SUVs spew over 30% more greenhouse gases than cars. The 10 hottest years in recorded history all happened in the last 15 years. You say it's a coincidence? Do you really want to bet your children's future on it?
  4. Crash #1: SUVs are taller and more dangerous than cars. Their increased rollover risk is well known.
  5. Crash #2: SUVs are heavier and more dangerous than cars. Their poor braking distance is well known.
  6. Crash #3: SUVs are longer, wider, and more dangerous than cars. Their lack of maneuverability leads to a fact you probably don't know: people in Light Trucks are about 20% more likely to die on the road than people in cars, because they get into so many accidents that cars are able to avoid.
  7. Sloth: SUVs are the apotheosis of American arrogance & obesity.
  8. Gluttony: Due to legal loopholes, SUVs waste 33% more gas than cars. (This doesn't even count behemoths like the Excursion and Hummer, which ignore fuel economy standards entirely.) The EPA Light Truck category was intended for commercial use (construction, farms, delivery) not for personal travel.
  9. Avarice: If our passenger vehicles (not including buses, heavy trucks, etc) averaged 40mpg, we would be able to fill our nation's oil needs entirely from production in the Americas and Europe. I support independence; you don't.
  10. Terrorism: My cargo-hauling hatchback gets 43mpg. Your SUV forces America to buy oil from Wahhabist fanatics in the Middle East. As our dear President might say, why do you hate America so much?
http://www.oocities.org/francis_uy/suv.html

http://livingstingy.blogspot.com/2011/04/ten-reasons-why-suvs-suck.html

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I have been looking for a diesel powered 12 or 15 passenger E250/E350.

We rented one for a family vacation with the V10 and with 9 passengers it was way nicer than the mini van we did the previous trip.

I need a truck, but a van that could tow a trailer would work, wife and kids don't want a big honkin van, but they weren't asked.
I'm not going to try to go diesel unless I get one cheap. But otherwise I feel ya. My wife is dead against it but once she gets in she will be hooked.
Alan

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I'm in the process of looking for a minivan for my wife. Me, my wife, 2 kids and one on the way with all the crap I haul around to go with a new baby, and my 2= the necessity of a bigger vehicle. She now has a Saturn SW2 and it's too small as it is. I tried to SQUEEZE a 3rd car seat to pick up my neice and I was lucky I was able to shut the doors all the way. That being said.... if we cant find a decent van, we are probibly going to look at a larger wagon(like a taurus/sable), or a panther for her......... I got her eyeballing a few GM's and towncars locally:rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts