TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone with a 3.8 have a true dual setup with some kind of crossover midmounted and two aftermarket mufflers mounted at the rear? any drone? i cant think of anyone with such a setup and was curious how it sounds.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
i don't have true duals, but mine is -from the front- 97 tubular manifolds, custom downtubes w/ no cats, no resonator y'd before the tank, y'd bak out after the tank into 2 si/so 40 series flows. there's a drone at highway speeds but my stereo drowns it. also it almost sounds like a riced honda at around 3k

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would get cats if i were you. do you have tips or turndowns?

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
tips. why should i get cats?

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no cats makes the exhaust more raspy.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
cats are more expensive than no cats......which is why they are still at the exhaust shop. i should've gotten advice before i went to get mine done. i had just installed the new engine and had to cut the old down-tubes out so it was running open all the way there (quite loud!) this is what the exhaust guy recommended so here it is. i wish i could go back now, cuz it'd be completely different.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
does anyone with a 3.8 have a true dual setup with some kind of crossover midmounted and two aftermarket mufflers mounted at the rear?
That would be dual exhaust, not true duals.

One of the 89 XR7's that I parted out had dual 2.25 with an X-pipe run back to 3" Flowmasters. It sounded great at idle, but as soon as you opened the throttle you would swear the namebadge said Honda.

These V6's simply need a midmounted muffler/resonator to sound anywhere near decent.

-Rod

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have a 97 t-bird with true duals. I have True 2 in dual on mine with Flowmasters. Every one says it sounds good. There is some resignating sound when I drive but not to bad. I usally drive with the windows down so I never hear it . I like it and it made a good difrence in HP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts