TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the size of a gas tank in a 96 tbird v8. I thought it was 18 gallons. But when i went to fill up today it took 18.44 gallons. IS the gas station wrong and ripping people off?

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
gas stations will often have uncalibrated pumps that will charge you for more money. If they are caught doing this they will be fined hard, so report it and someone will go and see if their pumps are calibrated correctly, and when they find out they aren't...they will pay :)

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
Our gas tanks are 18 gallons. I filled mine up last night and put in 17.5 gallons in (filled it up after going to the drag strip and blowing the rest of it). I would have that station checked into by the Better Business Bureau or something.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
The tank is 18 gallons, but if totally empty, it'll take more like 19 gallons. found that out after I totally drained my tank to repair it.

I find it unlikely they overcharged you, as the fines for such conduct are HUGE.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
nako103 said:
Does anyone know the size of a gas tank in a 96 tbird v8. I thought it was 18 gallons. But when i went to fill up today it took 18.44 gallons. IS the gas station wrong and ripping people off?
Damn, were you running on fumes?

-J

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Owner's manual and Service Manual state 18 gallons; I've had a few experiences, similar to GreenBird's, where 18.5 - 19.625 gallons were pumped in. At the risk of being hit with arguments, MY experiences indicate the tanks, to include filling a bit of the fuel filler pipe, can hold a bit more than 18 gallons. I do not believe I'm being ripped off if a little over 18 gallons is pumped in; for example, I drove 514 miles on that 19+ gallon fill-up.

....and sometimes, (tugging nervously on collar), I end up running on fumes...heh heh... :rolleyes:

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
I've never come to the point of running on fumes yet, but the most miles to tank I've gotten so far is 412. I think I managed 32mpg on that tank too.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
ZackG said:
514 miles?!?!?!??!???! im lucky to get like 360!
Yes...it was a one-time occurence. Surprised me, also. I've done 450-475 a number of times. For the last couple of months, I've been filling up at 350 or so, and pumping in about 15 gallons...

·
Registered
926 Posts
I dont understand my tank totally empty only fills up to 16 gallons every time.

·
Registered
635 Posts
shooot. when im on fumes, i can barely get up to 15. i usually get about 14 something in there when im dead empty. Did i get the shaft on a smaller tank???

·
Registered
798 Posts
It's not totally empty then, Let me ask you. When you say "totally empty" do you mean the Check Gauges light is on? or it's sputtering and about to die?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts