• Maturity or Experience

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, earlier today, I got in kind of a debate so to speak of the following situation.

Lets say that you are driving down the street and there is a wreck that happens right in front of you, now to avoid this wreck, are you going to use your driving skills or your maturity, experience, if you will. IMO, the skill is going to get you out of that wreck, just because you have experience behind the wheel doesn't mean you have the knowledge to avoid the wreck.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
skill, and awareness.

I know many many ppl that can drive pretty good, but just arent too aware all the time.

Skill comes w/ experience tho.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I agree wit skill. Expierience is not necesary to be a good job. Expierience just builds skill. Kind of like a building block thats no neccesary... like in Jenga. My mom never believes me when i tell her she sux at a clutch and that shes either gonna fry it or make me hit my head hard enough on the dash. I like to tell her that my friends are better :) that really gets to her. The sad part is that its true.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
I vote skill because of the following reason. Its all about knowing the limits of your car, controlling a skid if that happens, and reaction time/decision time.

As for experience, how many old people with 40+ years of driving experience do you see cruising around going 20 under the limit? Many of whom can barely see over the dash?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
there is a difference, I choose experience. A lot of younger drivers when something like that happens, they freeze. As you gain experience, you react faster, and dont freeze when it comes to panic time.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Good sense and knowing your limits. That said, skill can't be judged against experience because they're not mutually exclusive.
There are drivers with little experience who think they have the skill but don't. Insurance stats prove that one.
There are experienced drivers who drive like crap.
Maybe I'm too old to understand the poll. :D

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Maybe, I don't see how the two can be mutualy exclusive either. No-one is born with the ability to drive a car and handle a split second, high-speed incident. Both have to be learned. Like you said, a lot of people think they have "Mad skillz y0" but they don't. It's just that the more experienced/skilled drivers slow down when they see some kid cutting through traffic and other crap since they don't want to end up on some video on the net showing someone taking out a guard rail at 80mph+.

And with that, I'm off to make the hour and a half treck to the track...

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
You get and gain skill from experience. Like Brian said, no one is born knowing how to drive a car (people who claim this just learned from watching), so therefore, the answer would be experience.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Skill and Experience go hand in hand. You cant be good at something because you've read about it. You might be able to talk about it all day long, but when it comes to crunch time, you might end up in a bad way. Being a good driver is being aware of your surroundings, who is in your blind spot, behind you, how far behind, in front, etc, etc. I've learned to pay more attention to blind spots all the time because in the event of something happening, as long as you dont become part of the something happening, you'll be occupying that space shortly.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Experience is definitely necessary, and it is true you do kinda need both. I personally am almost always aware of who is around me, up ahead, and who's behind me. I am always looking in my rear view. I think that is one reason why I haven't gotten in another accident.

·
Registered
529 Posts
ESP... I can sense when harm is about to befall the bird:cool:

·
Registered
935 Posts
SKILL, This happened to me one day on I-81 near Roanoke, A semi hit the car right infront of me after his trailor sild sideways and hit the car... I'm not mature @ ALL :D and well I missed it... ALL SKILL BABY. It gave a great high too... I was wired for like 7 hours. All I could think was, "That was AWSOME!"

-Tim

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
I guess we should point out that {age != experience}

Some people learn fast, and some never learn. (See soccer mom)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts