TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
8,667 Posts
Never thought tires had much style, rims are something else.

Joe

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Typically, skinnies aren't considered until the car is in the 11 second range as a way to get an extra tenth or two once you've done all the power mods.

Personally, I would never run them. They don't stop and they don't handle, if you get squirrelly on the track. Without ABS, you can lock the front tires at will. I saw a guy doing a burnout all the way across the parking lot with the front tires locked up the whole way, like they were just along for the ride. I will gain a tenth or two another way.

Al

Reactions: Muscle&Thunder

·
The Parts Guy
7,647 Posts
In my case, 165R15's on aluminum 15x4" wheels from a SC were worth 0.20 - 0.23 seconds (depending on DA) at the low-12 E.T. range as compared to 255/45R17 tires on 17x8" Bullitts. It made all the difference in nailing the 12.0 classes. Never had an issue with handling/stopping; heck the sway from bias-ply slicks is more unnerving for a first-timer than anything else. I even ran them on the street from time to time.

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my case, 165R15's on aluminum 15x4" wheels from a SC were worth 0.20 - 0.23 seconds (depending on DA) at the low-12 E.T. range. It made all the difference in nailing the 12.0 classes. Never had an issue with handling/stopping; heck the sway from bias-ply slicks is more unnerving for a first-timer than anything else.

View attachment 42285
Yeah I noticed out of my researching that the 15x4 is good as they get for our bolt pattern for the most part. Nice picture. I'm going for sky 🔵. Man can't wait.

·
The Parts Guy
7,647 Posts
I'm not sure where you're located, but if you're anywhere near St. Louis, MO, know that I am tempted to sell the complete tire/wheel setup shown in my photos above.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I’ve had good luck with M &H Racemaster skinnies at the drag strip, both their bias ply and (currently) their radial. If you have bigger than stock front brakes, as I do, you can use Lincoln LS spare wheels. They are 17” x 5” wide, and work well with a 185/55 tire. Never had an issue slowing from speed on the skinnies, but I did push them through the lights one time when trying a higher brake torque rpm!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts