TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 90 s/c parts car with the powertrain in tact, and I was offered a 72 Pinto wagon complete running, driving car with a solid body for pretty much nothing.
I got to thinking...... 3.8 s/c pinto........
The super coupe was fairly quick for being in a 4000lb car, should be really fun in a little car like that.
Has anyone seen one done?
Im just looking to research it a bit first for things like which engine mounts would fit if there is any oem Ford mounts that can be used, would a T5 fit as far as shifter location or would the AOD be a better fitting option?
If I go ahead with this I'd like to build it on a small budget since it would kind of be a spare parts build.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Anything involving a Pinto would be a rarity these days, not that many left that haven't been blown up, cut up for strip cars or just plain rusted away. I'd certainly like to see the time slips that combo would generate.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Would be a tight squeeze, the 3.8 is a wide engine, too wide for my 63 Falcon but a 302 fits fine. The Pintos with a V6 had the 60 degree 2.8, and the 3.8 is a 90 degree. I seem to remember not much space, but that was quite awhile ago. I might be wrong. Would be an interesting car!

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
My first car, 72 pinto.

First engine build, 289.

First engine swap, 289 in the bean.

Engine fits fine with proper mounts, with stock manifolds or pinto swap headers.

Stick or auto. The first 6 inches of the trans tunnel at the fire wall have to be beat with a hammer to have trans clearance.
Asy for any other info on the swap.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya i haven't found one yet but someone must have atleast tried it at some point. I was going to just look for a fox bodied car that had available 3.8 mounts for simplicity but a Fairmont or a fox Marquis or something instead of a mustang but with the pinto being offered it almost seems like it should be done.

The tunnel massaging is no issue, had to do it on many v8 s10 swaps. My main concern is mounts and the exhaust manifolds clearing the steering and frame. Then the rear diff I would either go with a narrowed 9" or a narrowed 31spline 8.8. After the stock on blows up. :)

·
Boost!!!
814 Posts
The guy that lives next door to my moms house has a pinto with a built turbo coupe motor in it. He says its pretty quick. I think he hits low 20s psi and 300+ hp...Don't know what kind of times he's putting down, but I bet they're sub 13s

·
Super Moderator
4,902 Posts
Ya i haven't found one yet but someone must have atleast tried it at some point. I was going to just look for a fox bodied car that had available 3.8 mounts for simplicity but a Fairmont or a fox Marquis or something instead of a mustang but with the pinto being offered it almost seems like it should be done.
A LTD with the Mustang 4-eye front clip. That'd be a gorgeous head-turner.

Oh - wait - I just described the Marquis albeit with a Mercury treatment :diablo:

But that's what I'd aim for, if you didn't do the Pinto.

Pinto/V8's been done and over done and beat to death. The SC isn't that much different, IMO.

What may make it easier is finding a Mustang II with the 3.8 (if it had it!) or 5.0 to grab parts out of.

RwP

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A LTD with the Mustang 4-eye front clip. That'd be a gorgeous head-turner.

Oh - wait - I just described the Marquis albeit with a Mercury treatment :diablo:

But that's what I'd aim for, if you didn't do the Pinto.

Pinto/V8's been done and over done and beat to death. The SC isn't that much different, IMO.

What may make it easier is finding a Mustang II with the 3.8 (if it had it!) or 5.0 to grab parts out of.

RwP
I think the Mustang II had the 2.8.
Will 5.0 mounts bolt to the 3.8L?

·
Super Moderator
4,902 Posts
I think the Mustang II had the 2.8.
Will 5.0 mounts bolt to the 3.8L?
Not directly, no, but it makes it easier if it was originally using 5.0 parts.

RwP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts