TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a 95 T-Bird LX from a friend, really soon. The only thing it needs is tires. It currently has stock 215-70 X 15. I have a set of almost new 225-60 X15. Does anyone see a problem? Thanks, FJK

·
Registered
367 Posts
i've got 255/60/15 on my rear i've ran 275/50/15 there really tight on bead i blew it off once so i went with a smaller tire, the 275/50/15 is to wide for the stock rim. it would work out fine what ur talking about

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Those tires are about 1" shorter than stock. Unless you like wheel gap and bad speedo readings ftw... get the right tires.

-JOel

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
275/60 r15 work fine on a stock fan blade. i did it for two years only problem is premature wearing of the middle if you run at full pressure. drop to around 30 to flat out the tread and you are good to go

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
how so. u can call it bad advice but i never had any problems with it. daily drove in temps from -15 to 100, storm, and snow and i have never broke a seal or had any accidents as a result

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
how so. u can call it bad advice but i never had any problems with it. daily drove in temps from -15 to 100, storm, and snow and i have never broke a seal or had any accidents as a result

while you can fit the tire, its a bit much....the limited rim width of only 6.5inches coupled with a relatively tall tire/high sidewall can cause excessive sidewall flex because much of the tire is just not support by the rim.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Tire specs i've looked at say min. 7" rim width for that size tire. It might be do-able but i wouldn't call recommending something narrower good advice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I finally picked up the 95. I'm excited to start driving it. From the replys so far, I'm considering the correct 215 x70-15 tires. Looking at the tire rack, tires of that size seem limited & for every good review, there is always someone who has something bad to say about any particular tire.

Anyhow, I was doing some "looking" at this 95 & I could use some addtional info. The stock 7 spoke wheels are marked "right side" & "left side". Why is that? Also, how wide are those wheels? 7"? Finally, what is the lug nut torque spec? I set them at 85 ft-lbs.

Thanks, FJK

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
you guys should just go to a tire caluculator http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html just enter 215/70/15 then what you want and it will tell you if it will work. i find 245/60/15 is really close. so im betting thats the biggest you can get without looking stupid.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I went with 245/60/15's when I had the 15" wheels. They look great, and most important THEY FIT SAFELY. I would not go any bigger than a 245 on the stock 15" wheels.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I went with 245/60/15's when I had the 15" wheels. They look great, and most important THEY FIT SAFELY. I would not go any bigger than a 245 on the stock 15" wheels.
i definately agree with traveler. 245/60/15 are going to the best look, performance and safety for the stock fanblade wheels. ran several sets of this size....you will not regret it.

obviously others think different, but i think you will find the MAJORITY of opinions from experienced people will back this up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, for old farts, such as myself, I decided not to "trick up" the tire situation & went with stock size 215-70X15. Decided on Michelin Harmony from Tire Rack. Nice ride, quiet, good response tires. I have only 50 miles on them, but feel it was a good choice for the type of use of the car. Much better than the OEM 680 Firestones, but they were so shot, any thing would have been better.
Thanks everyone for your responces. FJK

1 - 16 of 16 Posts