TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it still a DIlemma if you have more than one choice? Trilemma, quadlemma, maybe? Anyways...

Now that I have a real job, and since one of my credit card companies called me last night and boosted my credit by another $2500 bucks, I need to do something for my poor 'Bird, which has gotten me so far.

Now, I don't want to spend too much money, so I need to decide which of the following I will do...

Option 1-

Save-up, sell my RX-7 and put a supercharger in the Bird. Sounds simple, but it eliminates my second car and leaves things to be desired... Specifically the other options...

Estimated cost: $3500 - RX-7 (2k)

Option 2-

Buy new wheels for the back... Probably 17x10.5" Cobras. One of the SVT wheels I bought second hand from some bastard in FL has a dent in it (invisible until the wheel is on a balancing machine). My car vibrates continuously at freeway speeds, and it ticks me off. Plus, it's probably putting strain on my drivetrain. The one wheel is probably fixable, but it's not wide enough for my tastes. Is anybody interested in Chrome SVT rims? If I can get enough for them, I would get 4 new rims with the Mustang bolt pattern. Also, 275s in the back, and shift my 255s to the front since my POS Michelins (I HATE MICHELIN) leak air.

Estimated cost: $300-$1000 if I go all the way.

Option 3-

Bite the bullet, find a replacement wheel (just the one), buy some Bilsteins to replace my crappy over-used stock shocks, and get some Hawk pads for my 13" brakes, and do something about my drums.

Estimated cost: $~500?

Option 4-

Get my 4.10/8.8" rear-end built and swap it in. Most likely get some SC half-shafts, but that also means brake swap, doesn't it?

Estimated cost: $400-$800 ??

Option 5-

Get the PAINT JOB I put off for after college. My car looks like crap. At least it's comfy.

Estimated cost: LOL

Option 6:

Buy a new dash to replace the Arizona-beat, cracked one.

Cost: ???

What would you do?

PJ

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
if youre only looking to do one, i say #4. thatll leave you with a 2nd car still, and give you more in the seat of your pants. im not an RX7 fan, so i would have no problem with #1, but its a bit more costly than the other options. maybe #2 and #4. i can get you a deal on some 17x9 cobras that are in excellent shape that are just sitting around right now.

of course, #1 still sounds the best, but costly.

just my $.02

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
#2 (always nice to have more rubber in back...) then #4 (#2 sounds like an actual problem, so that should be taken care of first, but your 7.5" open rear prolly cant take a whole lot of abuse from the new motor) then #6 then #5, and then a variation of #1 (just save up for the sc.. you dont want to have a daily driver with a sc and 4:10 gears... thatd just get annoying in traffic) -greg

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
8.8 with 3.73's (I know you will run fast enough eventually where you will need to hit OD with 4.10's in the 1/4)
Supercoupe axles and brakes too!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would avoid using the credit card as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do avoid it. My balance is, like, 30 bucks.

Rancher, I already have the gears and the differential. I think I may get it built then swap with someone straight-up if necessary. I think that the 3-4 shift (with the chip) would be beneficial to my times anyways. Who knows?

PJ

·
Administrator
8,011 Posts
I'd try to tie #3 and 4 together if you could. Update the rear brakes while you're swapping out the axles and the pumpkin.

Joe

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I made up my mind-- it's gonna be pricey but I am gonna do the following:

Buy two rear wheels. Probably in the Mustang bolt-pattern. I will have my drums redrilled, and have my studs relocated. Then I will install Hawk pads in the front and new/better shoes in the back. The last thing for the meantime will be installing the 8.8" with the 4.10s in it.

*sigh*-- now just need to find the time to hunt for good deals.

PJ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts